out of town ticket?

has anyone been successful in pleading down a speeding ticket out of town without having to actually go to court? Ticket was in Victor, NY and would really prefer not to have to drive 1.5 hours to and from court.

Haven’t had a ticket in over a decade. Just wondring if I’m better off sending in not guilty, or suck it up and take the hit for pleading guilty by mail.

input appreciated. thanks

My friend and i were driving back from NYC and he got a speeding ticket about an hour outside of the city, He went online emailed the town prosecuter and worked a deal out… hopefully you can be so lucky

Most courts allow you to. Call them and ask if you can submit a Affidavit In Lieu Of Appearance. Plea not guilty on the ticket, they will mail you the form, fill it out with the statement as you would give in court as its ready in court and they will send you their reduction which you can accept or deny. I’ve actually had a ticket in Rochester dismissed because the cop didn’t show up and all I submitted was a Affidavit.

NEVER PLEAD GUILTY.

I drove out to dansville NY to get a ticket plead down on;y to find that there was no body at the courthouse that could do that and I would have
to go to court in Bath if I wanted to plea it down.

I opted to handle it by mail then forgot.
7 years later I received a letter about my license suspension date.
I then handled it by mail and over the phone.

It’s not a terribly complex process to deal with it by mail.

ya its really simple. just gotta make sure you follow it and look for the letters. also dont be afraid to call the court and ask the status. You get the dates and stuff so you can call the day after the court date and see.

1. Fill out ticket as not guilty
  2. When you get the date of the court case, call and ask if they allow you to submit the affidavit and do it BEFORE the court date. Again, they read it as if you were there in court so this is your excuse that you would tell the ADA. If its a speeding ticket, request a non point reduction.
  3. Watch the mail the next week or two after your court date or even call to find the outcome. You will get the reduction and plea guilty/not guilty to. Send this in and usually will include the fine/total.
  4. end of story.

Also make sure all mailings are sent registered mail.

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated!

Anytime…
Now find me some KONI front inserts

I once showed up on the wrong night to court for a seatbelt ticket in Ellicottville. Never heard anything about it again. Cops…don’t read this.

I received a ticket in Avoca from a state trooper. The trooper bumped it down to 19 mph over the speed limit. I sent it through the mail pleading not guilty. They bumped it down to a speeding ticket going 9 mph over, 3 points on my license, and a fine (all done through the mail).

Ticket just as I entered NY from MA - Local buddy at a law firm contacted the town prosecutor. Signed waiver to be absent from court and would handle by mail signed with notary. Send waiver to prosecutor, and that’s as far as I got so far…

Waiting for result.

82 in 65.

I had one in Weedsport, NY. Generally courts suck at getting back to you, at least in my experience. I wound up driving 2+ hours to go to court.

If you do have to go to court…dress to impress. No jeans, no hoodies or t-shirts. At the minimum, Khakis and a polo shirt.

Good luck.