Over charging battery on civic..

So i was smelling this awful rotten egg type smell in my civic the past few days (that i just bought) its a 93 so i understand things will go wrong obviously. So i pop the hood and i see my battery is smoking away and sizzling/bubbling so its the sulfer in my battery making the smell and i check the charge on the battery and its at like 16 with the car off. I’m assuming the battery is just getting constant or too much power to it and the regulator on the alt is busted. So anyway i probably need a new alternator? i dont know maybe a battery too. suggestions or thoughts i’m new at this…

I would replace both considering ur battery baically just blew up

close but not yet the car is still running fine but long trips i start to smell the battery and obviously its not good. not to mention the fumes coming into the car are probably harmful. Of course its something that needs to be taken care of very quickly and i should be driving it as little possible. It wasnt smoking THat much but when you pop the hood you could see it starting to come out pretty consistantly. regardless i’ll end up buying a new battery anyway but thanks for the thought

you’re probably going to die if you keep driving it lol

that is my technical input

haha i totally agree with that i’m really only driving it the mile drive to work where it then sits for 8hrs then back home and i only noticed the slight smoke when i was driving all day at various speeds. but yeah anything more than that i’ll be ready for an acid shower

It seems like the voltage regulator in the alt is shot… if its getting 16 volts at idle something is wrong, it should be 14.5-14.7. if your battery boiled over there is less ‘water’ in the battery so its basically shot.

but figure out what it is before you go throwing parts at it unless you can get them for cheap

isnt the voltage regulator in the pcm on most cars?

No ur thinking of a different voltage regulator for the input signals so u dont send to much voltage to the PCM. Theres a voltage reg for the charging system which is internal of the alternator on this car. Some have external reg. But ur gonna need a new alt and Battery

Thanks Birdman that seems to be what its coming down to.

I do what i can haha

I know this isnt the section of the forum for this but Best place or way to find a cheap alternator?

post a wtb ad… lol

Id post for it in the for sale thread

it’ll buff out

95mx6 might have one
or shrek, he always has random things

or laymone
or JDMSIR