Possible Electrical problem on 98 Civic

Ok, so just recently I’ve noticed at times it would be hard to start my Civic (98 DX sedan). I first noticed it on a really hot day about 3 weeks ago, when it was slow to crank over before finally going. Since then only periodically it’d be tough to start, more so when the car sat for more then a day.

Well now just yesterday I had the battery checked out, tons of corrosion and a weak draw. So I cleaned the cables and put a new battery in. First start up with the new battery was OK. The next few starts were fine while I was running some errands. Then it sat overnight and once again this morning, had trouble slowly cranking over.

So basically, when the car sits for more than a few hours, it’s tough to start back up. Once it’s been running though, I have no problem starting it up again. The alternator checked out fine, so I’m thinking there’s a possible electrical draw somewhere or a bad ground that’s causing this. Anyone have some light to shed on this or a similar experience?

I researched one of the recalls pertaining to the ignition:

On certain sedans, coupes, hatchbacks, and sport utility vehicles, electrical contacts in the ignition switch can degrade due to the high electrical current passing through the switch when the vehicle is started. Worn contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will replace the ignition switch. Owner notification began June 14, 2002.

I don’t know if this was done, but it doesn’t mention anything about it affecting the startup of the car.

Any aftermarket alarms, remote starts or stereo? My first step would be there.

Nope, completely stock. Go figure, since making this thread I have had no trouble starting it. Maybe it was just the new battery getting broken in? Although I’ve never heard of such a thing lol.

ignition wiring does go bad in these

What did you do to check the alternator, sounds like it’s the problem

I had a guy at Advanced Auto Parts check it while the car was running.

Well a few days after having the alternator checked out, battery came up with a dead cell. Replaced it with another battery and have been problem free since. I’ve replaced a few batteries over the years but this was the first time I’d ever bought a dud.