P1345 on My Blazer won't go away.

A quick bit of history on this problem: I have a Blazer that was sitting for a long time. Did the basic tune up on it and was regularly getting a random misfire code. I replaced a few more of the ignition parts that looked worn out and was still getting the code anywhere from immediate at start up to 10 miles down the road. At this point I’ve replaced: Cap, rotor button, wires, spark plugs, coil, and checked every ground in the engine bay.

I was still getting the code (although less frequently) and my research pointed to possibly a worn distributor gear. I bought a new distributor from Summit and it had a new cap/rotor with it also. I replaced it by the book to set top dead center and point it to wire #1. It started up and purred nice.

But now I am getting P1345 - camshaft/crankshaft position correlation fault. Also, it smells like it is running rich and moisture (doesn’t smell like gas) is coming from my tailpipe.

Yes, the camshaft sensor is plugged in and getting power. I didn’t check the crank sensor but I didn’t touch it either. I also tried to rotate the distributor 1 tooth counter clockwise. It ran like shit at that tooth. 1 more tooth counter clockwise it didn’t even start. I still intend to move it 1 tooth clockwise from the original location too but haven’t had a chance yet.

Can anyone out there in Pittspeed land offer some suggestions?
I read of a ‘re-learn’ procedure that may or may not exist to help me.
Are Summit distributors junk?
Is the rich, gas smell possibly related to this?
Can anyone get some official GM documents related to this issue?

I am going to borrow a buddy’s snap on diagnostic tool. It should be able to tell me the offset of the timing to see if I’m in the ball park.

EDIT: it’s a 98 S-10 Blazer with a 4.3 W VIN motor.

u may be off a tooth or two on the distributor!!

Which way retards the timing? clockwise or counter clockwise?

call me!

The distributor seems to be fine. If I rotate it 1 tooth clockwise from it’s current position is won’t even start. It chugs kinda weird and obviously out of sync. Again, rotating it 1 position counter clockwise it will run and start but is running off balance and is not right. 2 positions counter clockwise and it won’t even start. Is it possible to have it 180 degrees off? I took some care in finding TDC but I may have been on the decompression stroke when I lined up the markings.

I am going to try and swap my camshaft sensors since I know the one that was on there worked before I took out the origional distributor. I might also suck it up and get a new crankshaft sensor just to rule that out.

without being there with the truck its hard to tell. I would need to hook up to the sensors to check what is coming out of them. You could just throw both parts at it and see what happens though. They probably arn’t that expensive.

Here is a minor update:

I was told that any time one of those sensors is changed I’d have to do a ‘CASE relearn’ procedure with a fancy diagnostic tool. I borrowed my buddy’s and it was refusing to do the test for some reason. The timing is WAAY off according to that tool. idling the advance and retard times were +20/+30 and revving it would jump around… sometimes up to +200. That seems bad to me…

I’m going to start from step one and re-seat the distributor where I KNOW I am at TDC and try again. I might slap the old distributor in there to see if P1345 goes away and my random misfire comes back. The gear on my old distributor was not worn as I suspected.