Paging High Def Direct TV folks

It looks like Im being forced into Direct TV… school me on high def dvr’s… direct tv wants to charge me 132 a month for the NFL ticket +basic phone+DSL

and if i want a high def DVR its 199.99 out of pocket.

im a complete noob with direct tv, but I think its my only option. :help:

Why is it your only option? If you can get Directv I would assume you can get Dish network too.

I went dish network because at the time their HD DVR hardware was far superior to direct’s buggy HR20 and they had more HD.

Direct is claiming a whole lot of HD additions coming very soon, but from what I’ve seen it’s a lot of movie channels that I don’t sub to, and regional sports packages that I wouldn’t get because they’re not my region.

Meanwhile Dish has been quietly adding HD channels I actually watch. A&E, History Channel, Discovery (the actual Discovery Channel, not just Discovery HD Theater), TLC, Science, Versus etc have all recently been added.

I just got mine hooked up over the weekend. I got the HD receiver but not the DVR. I am not a big TV watcher so I don’t know what to tell you in the regard. I would do what JayS suggested though and see what Dish network has to offer. If you are a Yankees fan, Dish Network does not carry YES.

I’m not a Yankees fan, or baseball fan for that matter, but Dish does have SNY HD (Sports NY HD). I assumed that carried the Yankees because it always seems to have some baseball on in HD. I flip to it now and then just to look at the HD picture, but never really notice who’s playing. :slight_smile:

DirecTV does not have CBS in HD either, only ABC/NBC.

Dish doesn’t have any of the local networks in HD, just standard def, but the antenna HD looks better than compressed satellite HD anyway.

Dish does not have NFL Ticket though. Direct has a monopoly on that.

But, if you get an OTA antenna you’ll get all the network games in HD anyway. Not just NBC, ABC, and FOX, but CBS too(when they aren’t fucking shit up like yesterday!)

Call and haggle with them, i got my HDDVR from them for 50 bucks.

But ive been a good customer for over 7 years.

and its not buggy at all.

I think my parents got the HD DVR for free at my house some how. My parents switch back and forth from cable to direct tv depending on where the deals are and they seem to get free shit too. I think now in my house we have 6 recievers. Two are HD DVRs and I know my parents didnt pay $200 for each of them out of pocket.

Talk to the company. They are pretty friendly if you can parooze your way to the right people.