Paint Guru's

Hey all,

If any of you guys work in body shops or just know your way around a paint gun I have what is probably a pretty simple question.

I’m looking at two different cheapy spray guns and I just want to know the differenace (read: pro/cons) between a gravity feed gun and a … not gravity feed gun.

Any and all productive comments are welcome.

Gravity Feed:
http://www.bosstoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2496

Not Gravity Feed:
http://www.bosstoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5898

Thanks!

hey can you help me out with a paint code its bc185 and bc400 i need to find out what this would be in house of colours or dupont codes im not sure what company these codes are from pm me if you no

YUCK!!. stay away from that suction fed…

defenatly the hvlp gravity fed is tha way to go… it looks like the one i picked up from princess auto for primer… it works decent… even sprayed single stage with it.

ps. my cousin bought that same suction fed gun… i belive he had about 60 lbs to it and the botton of the cup blew out.fyi.junk

I would go with the Gravity feed gun, I see alot of bodyshop using them. This may help you with your painting http://www.powerblocktv.com/sites/trucks/downloads/PaintingTips.pdf

Suction is oldschool, uses high pressure, low volume. Doesn’t work so well.

HVLP (Gravity Feed) is much better, uses lower air pressure, and provides a nicer flow/spray pattern.

along with this… gravity fed HVLP guns also have a much better tranfser rate… meaning more product is getting on your panel or substrate than in the atmosphere. less waste… and like previous stated. more efficient

The Non-Gravity guns have been banned in some places because of their horribleness. Even if the HVLP gun is more expensive, its worth every penny. Also, with an HVLP gun, all the paint you put into the gun is used, so in theory it saves you money on paint usage, and cleanup is much much easier as well.

Heres your perfect answer.

Choose the gravity feed gun. We only use non gravity fed guns for primer at the shop. If you use a non gravity feed gun with clear coat, under coat, or any base lather your going to get a wave in the paint. No matter how good of a painter, you’ll always have a wave effect. Its very noticable once you really look into depth of your paint.

Also the “suck action” gun will also blotch the paint and in most cases cause build ups in the gun, and produce a shitty overlay.

If your looking to go cheap i would definatly suggest getting the hvlp.

Perfect guys… thanks for all the info.

HVLP gun it is.

Any tips on how to clean the gun?

Im trying to think of the exact make thats its called but i’ve seemed to have forgotten…its very similar to lighter fluid. We use it in all our guns…its a cleaner of some sort. I’ll see if i can find out exactly what my cousin uses. You can pick it up at canadian tire.

how bout good old gun wash or thinners… thats we use at our shop… works great. make sure your clean the Air cap and all the orfices’ the fluid tip and needle and cup. it also doesnt hurt to clean the body of the gun everytime you use it. just keeps it looking nice

Yea thinner works awsome aswell.
Just another great product we use.

Yea the bases always become multi colored over the week and definatly are in need of a good cleaning.

Its always also best to dissasemble the gun itself and do any fine tune cleaning it may need.