Paint Question

My 1980 Rabbit truck is finally almost ready for paint. I was wondering where is the best place to buy and how much would it cost for PPG base and clearcoat? I will be painting the truck myself.

depends on the color. im doing my bike in ppg white diamond pearl
[just one of the colors] and this color is 80dollars for a pint. this is thru LLoyds down on Singer ave. in the McKeesRocks

you could do it with cheaper paint. look to spend around
500 bucks for all the materials

thanks Quick, i’m most likely going with Black.

black dbc is aproxamitley 80 to 100 a quart i belive, dt reducer liek 35 a gal, and u can use a omni clear believe its 161 for overall, with 167 hardner cost u like 110 bucs for gal of clear and 2 quarts of hardener lloyd number 412 771 9220

You Can also use the Omni product line, It is made by PPG and it is way cheaper than using the dbc, or dbu paints and the 2042 clear. It lasts just as long and it lays down smooth:D :smiley:

thanks for the advise. this is the first time i’m doing this. hope i dont fuck up.

if u got a garage and got the car prepped make me a offer and i can come shoot it for u if u want

Originally posted by peterock17
My 1980 Rabbit truck is finally almost ready for paint. I was wondering where is the best place to buy and how much would it cost for PPG base and clearcoat? I will be painting the truck myself.

pm 1 slow bowtie he will hook you up

I’ll be using the paint booth @ CARS of pittsburgh. Its a restoration shop close to south park on cochrans mill road. I work there once a week. It just sucks cause when I talked to their supplier about paint he quoted me 600bucks. I think thats too high. there’s definately a better deal out there.

head out our way. up to lloyds in the rox. theyll hook you up
if not Oneslowbowtie has a hook up. he can mix the paint for you

cool. thanks.

ask them for omni line base coat clear coat its ppg jstu a lower line

Why don’t you look into Martin_senour from NAPA. The color matches aren’t the best but If you are spraying the whole car it should work good. Their prices are very reasonable.

i heard martin senour is decent paint and the prices are great, but was told the coler matches suck along iwth montana but great way to save or make money on your material times, but i use a ppg dbc mixing system seams to work great but too many variances

hell if you can use nappa enamel!!!thats cheap

I never messed with single stages i just figure if u put all the tiem and work in it might as well spend the extra 200 bucs

Only one paint manufactor to use - BASF’s Glasurit Paint line… Top world auto manufactors such as

-Alfa Romeo
-Bentley
-BMW
-Ferrari
-Ford
-General Motors
-Hyundai
-Jaguar
-Daimler Chrysler
-Mercedes Benz
-McLearn F1
-AMG Corporation
-Nissan
-Porsche
-Rolls-Royce
-Saturn
-Toyota
-Volkswagen/Audi
-Volvo

All use this paint from the factory, even the 1st saleen mustangs with the crazy color change was BASF…

We spray both BASF lines at our shops depending on the vehicle. Glasurit and Diamont… Glasurit is a better product than Diamont… all the auto manufactors in that list use Glasurit, my Supra Lexus Diamond White Pearl is Glasurit and it really shows the quality over PPG, Omni, etc… not saying that they are bad refinishes, BASF is just a better product.

We are an authorized BASF distributor. We usually never mix / re-sell our paint to anyone but I would help anyone out on here. I just need the paint code of the color you want (or the name of the paint color and the year / make the vehicle its off of) and we can mix it up and I can tell you how much it will cost. We have a HUGE mixing room in our downdraft booth where we can mix anything from 03 Cobra Blue to Ferrari Enzo red… I can also get you the proper pearls, reducers, clear, etc…

I can just put in the computer the code and amount you want and it will give me the cost… like I said we usually dont do it for anyone but I would help anyone out on here that would need it. PM me if you have any questions

Originally posted by darkstain
I never messed with single stages i just figure if u put all the tiem and work in it might as well spend the extra 200 bucs

BASF makes a single stage line also called Uno. Its nice and all for like 93 cavaliers, etc… that we dont wanna use the good paint for but for any of you that are putting this on your regular car Diamont is a little cheaper alternative to Glasirut and its a 2 stage paint. Glasirut is top dog… along with House or Kolor…

When I was at SEMA talking to the owner of House of Kolor he was telling me he used to spray BASF Glasurit all his life until he devolped his own line… which is beautiful… If I paint the Supra again ill proably use House of Kolor…

i have heard from a few people that glasurit is the top one, but we have the ppg system now and mad tints so it be sort of hard to switch over, out of curiosity jstu say a pint of a solid red how much is that in red with glasurit u have any idea>?

honestly bud… im chilln at home in my room on my couch watchin tv :smiley: However… if you send me out a PM tommorow ill be glad to check.