Paint?

Hey, well I drive a 1990 240SX Special Edition Fastback in white, however, it isn’t just white…and so comes my question.

Happened A While Ago

I believe it was the day when I peeled off the silly looking side decals from my 240 when I noticed something really strange. My paint isn’t just white…It’s white and red? Almost a chameleon style paint, but really faint so you can notice it best when the sun is shining brightly on the car.

So, now confused, I searched the entire car: fenders, bumpers, door panels, hood, hatch, roof and all have this red mixed in with the white paint…

So then I get really confused and I go to the front of my car where the clear coat is peeling off and a rip a lil piece off and lo and behold, the clearcoat has a shiny, pearlescent red mixed with the clear. This gives my car this odd chameleon style paint.

My question however is: Does this come stock? My 240 is the only one I’ve ever seen with a “Special Edition” sticker on the door panels and is the only 240 I’ve seen with this paint job. Could it be an aftermarket job? Any help is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

If the clearcoat can be peeled off … you can be 99% sure it is aftermarket paint. Also … there was never a red/white paint offered stock.

PS: S13s came in SE and LE. LE had leather and power, while SE was the base choice (someone correct me if I’m wrong)

What color is your engine bay / door jams / paint chips?

It could be

1. A cool paint job as you said, with a bit of red mixed in.
  2. White sprayed over red, but without proper sealents. So that the red is starting to bleed into the white.

my car was white along with sasha’s s13 we both had the same decal that said 240sx along the side with some lines…

i took mine off…

the paint is a white pearl so it has sparkles in it. it is an oem colour and not super white

depending on what is near you it could look like you have read pearl or you could be around say a red building and that can reflect off the pearl and make it look red.

i didnt think se’s had pearl i thought it was only le but i may be wrong.

also sven i have many friends with 240’s with oem paint and the clearcoat has started to peel including on my car.

colour code is on door jam take it to a paint place and get them to run it through their system.

Doh! I guess I should say it’s much more unlikely to peel with OEM paint. It is super stuck to the base from the factory … hence why everyone loves factory paint. They bake it on at crazy temperatures.

I have seen them do it. There is a place in Brampton where they electrically put the paint on the parts as it moves around this huge conveyor belt thing. I was there about 4 years ago can’t remember exactly was a school project.