Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Anyone have experience with going their kitchen cabinets a different look? In the process of buying a house and we want to give the cabinets a new look… They arent that old, but we want to modernize the kitchen and go with white cabinets…

Any advice for anyone on here?

rustoleum sells a kit for it there like 80 bucks at lowes they also have countertop kits

I’ve painted some crappy looking woodgrain cabinets white at my mothers house a few years ago.

took a bunch of coats, but looks pretty good.

Are they real wood cabinets or particle board/ press board w/ veneer on top?

I actually work for Sherwin Williams so i can provide some insight.

First for good measure id quickly scuff sand the surfaces that would be painted with a fine grit sanding block.

Best thing to do would be to prime with a good adhesion primer. Ours is the Multi-Pupose 0 VOC primer. It has the ability to go over oil if your old cabinets were finished with oil. It runs about $27 a gallon but they run 30% off and sometimes 40% off quite often.

For the top coat use a good enamel. Ours is called Pro Classic. Id absolutely stick to an enamel. Much more durable than your standard wall paint and will dry to a nice smooth finish. Its available in Latex (Water-Based), Water-based Alkyd, and oil (in quarts). Id recommend the Waterbased Alkyd-gives a professional sprayed like appearance without the extra smell and paint thinner to clean up.

Id definitely stick to quality products like SW, Ben Moore Etc…When our stuff is on sale its pretty tough to beat and usually the people in the stores can help you out with whatever questions you may have.

1 Like

Awesome advice, when it comes time can I shoot you a pm with some more questions??

Nice info. Which location do you work? If you don’t mind me asking.

Of course man, i wouldve given a few more details but i didnt want to bore anyone.

lol no problem, i acutally moved to rochester last year so i manage a location out there. If anyone has any questions, id be glad to help.