Parts painted...

I know there are a few different threads about good body shops, etc. but this is a little different…
As most of you know the Jetta is in the process of getting a “makeover”. :wink:
I only need a door skin, fender, and possibly bumper painted, and thought it would be better to get that done before I put them on the car.
I called Walter’s because they do all the work for Langan, and figured they should have the right color/know what the hell they’re doing - but they refused me flat out and said they won’t paint individual parts because of matching issues, etc.
Does anyone know of a shop that will do just a few parts so that I can get them painted before I put them back on the car? I can bring the other fender or the original door skin with the parts to be painted, just to compare for paint matching if that makes any difference?
Thanks for your help guys. :slight_smile:

Nicole, Georges Collision would def do it… Give them a call and talk to Jim or George… If you mention me I’m sure they will take care of you! You should see the nice work they are doing on my SS…

2 Pine Street
Cohoes, NY 12047

518-237-6628.

http://www.georgescollision.net/

So you’ve actually seen the work they do then?
I don’t mean to sound snotty, I just don’t want an even bigger shit show. :lol

I’ll give them a call after lunch, thanks. :slight_smile:

Yea they have practically repainted my entire truck lol… Entire passenger side, rear bumper, front bumper, front grill, hood, driver fender, tinted my tails and third brake light, smoked my headlights, and painted all front and back mesh grill pieces lol… Nick saw the back and passenger side the other night the rest will be done wed to pick up…

They work fast and the work is perfect… they will even walk you through and show you projects so you feel more comfortable… but I think you would be very happy with the results… hell you would prob see mien there being worked on lol

see your WTB thread… I can paint them for you. Did you put them on the car yet? I work with the Schenectady autobody guys across from Mohawk honda… give them the VIN and color code and they will mix up the paint. I have gotten a bunch of paint for different cars from them and they paint is spot on. I dont see you needing more than a full pint to do all that. Color, clear, primer, and chemicals I would say around $300 for materials. Give me a call and we can talk about it.

Why dont u put the parts on the car and bring it to them to mastch it so it doesnt look like shit with mismatch reds due to age and sun fade.

I guess they don’t even do the work for Langan anymore, so it wouldn’t be brought to them anyway.

You can bring a painted part from your car to Schenectady autobody and they have a chromocolor(whateverthefuckitiscalled) gun that will give them the information to mix the color just right.

Is that so?

Yup that too. I havent had them have to do anything like that yet, but I think they have one there. But honestly the paint looked good on the car when I saw it. The color doesnt fade, the clear make it look that way. If the color is mixed correctly, and looks off, it isnt anything a buff/cut cant fix on the old paint.

My paint for being 6 (almost 7) years old, really doesn’t look faded.
Compared to my best friend’s Rabbit which is the same color and only a year old, you don’t see a difference in color at all.
Even using touch up paint on the hood it blended right in, so who knows.
That’s not a bad idea though, if I decide to cheap out and not have a body shop do it. I’m just really concerned about the longevity and durability of the clear coat we put on it doing it that way.

I use the Cromaclear stuff they have. I used the PPG clear befor which is 30% more expensive and it wasnt any better looking, just a bit easier to shoot. I also used the sherwin williams stuff from the local car quest place in amsterdam for regular parts becasue it is like $40 a gal, and even that stuff is good for interior pieces or under hood stuff. The croma clear is much better than the SW but not quite PPG highend stuff. It lays out great, and is thick enough to last a long time and allow enough material to cut a bunch of times with a buffer down the road. If i remember corectly the Cromaclear was $70 a gal + $20 for activator. but I didnt buy any in over 2 months so I dont remember.

http://shift518.gom-host.com/showthread.php?t=11577
That was a helmet I did with that clear coat. you can see some of the reflections in it are laid out dead flat, not orange peel at all. Thats the only pics I can think of off the top of my head. Ohh and the shaved engine bay in my Jetta in my build thread, i painted it with all Croma stuff from Sch autobody.

Well, I just called 9 and 20 autobody, guy there was wicked nice, didn’t blow me off or get snotty at all with my million questions, pretty much told me bring the parts by and he’ll tell me exactly how much / what needs to be done.
I’m going to take a look there, and if it totally gets out of hand with cost, then I’ll think about a cheaper temporary fix.

Sounds good. Hey, dont call my work a temp fix. :slight_smile: jk… I would bet Door skin and jambs, hood top and bottom, fenders and bumper (used already painted), materials and labor I est. $450-$750 from a shop. A little more if the bumper is fresh and needs flex additive. Maybe a little less if you scuffed and preped the parts to the point of surface prep/wipe down and paint.

Kdubs,did i see you on fri,sat near bridge ave?If that was you she is looking siiiiick.

Red parts really should be painted on the car and blended. Red fades very easily and you might not even notice it until you hang new parts and they really stick out from the rest of the car.

Reds are some of the hardest colors to match. When you got your car sprayed the first time they had to blend into the hood and drivers door. That was because of the tolerances of the paint. even if the car was just painted a week ago and was getting a fender done it could be a slight mismatch especially with a deep red or a mettalic. If you want to get the parts sprayed just to get them on I can see where youre coming from so go for it. but if it doesent match just right in direct sunlight you may be looking at more $$$ for another paint job

I’m not making any decisions until I can get the parts over and have this guy give me an exact quote. He said they would work with me, and if I prepped them myself it would bring the cost down, so we’ll see.

1. Harlequinn your car
    2)dont worry about matching colors on painted panels at any time
    3)???
  2. profit

WTF does that mean? Stick to your slammed thread. LoL

OP… Why is this in off beat? Painting car parts is auto related JW