Paypal rant v. screwing eBay sellers

Cliffs- paypal dosent wait for the buyer to have an issue to request a refund, they just simply hold your payment in pending status until you send it out of pocket, the buyer recieves it and leaves you positive feedback, then you get paid

EDIT- this is the info that is on the seller page now under payment options-

Decide how you’d like to be paidAdd or remove options | Get help
Select at least one approved electronic payment method listed below.
Learn more about recent changes to the eBay Accepted Payments Policy.
Some payments may be held in your account to ensure smooth transactions. PayPal will release the hold after 21 days without a buyer dispute, claim, chargeback or other action. The hold may be released earlier if either of the following occurs:
Buyer leaves positive Feedback.
3 days after PayPal confirms item delivery.
Learn more about PayPal’s Holds Policy.

wtf, I hate fucking paypal but I use it with eBay from time to time

I get a payment today and am told paypal has placed a hold on my payment, the details of the transaction are this-

I sold an item on eBay for $250, I have been a paypal member since 2000 and have 300+ transactions on paypal, once about 4yrs ago I had a dispute against me because the prick said he never got his package and I didnt put delivery confirmation on it …

on the eBay account I sold from I have been using for 5yrs, I have 59 positive feedback with 0 negatives (I have less than 100 feedback and probably dont have 20 in the past 12 months but that never mattered)

I do not have any buyer dissastifaction ratings

and lastly my item did not fall under any of the catagories paypal has listed as “high risk”

to get my $$ unfroze I have to ship the item, provide a tracking # and then wait 3 days after delivery to get my payment

what a bunch of bullshit, I bet they take the money and invest it while you wait

what really sucks is I had to pay out of pocket to ship the shit

Between this and the new eBay policy that you cant leave buyers negative or neutral feedback I am done as a seller

Just a heads up

edit- the best part is the buyer won the auction on 1/2/09 and after me filing a non payment complaint 3 days ago he is just finally getting around to paying me so I can wait even fucking longer

heres the info from paypal-

Policy for payment holds for eBay items

https://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-550-20090106-1/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gifhttps://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-550-20090106-1/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gif
What is a payment hold for eBay items?
It is a hold that PayPal places on a payment you receive for an item you sold on eBay. The amounts held will be shown as “Pending” in your PayPal account. You still have access to all other funds in your PayPal account.

Why are my payments being held?
Payment holds for eBay items are an effort to increase marketplace safety. We hold payments when we suspect a transaction may be risky. Here are the most common instances in which an eBay item payment may be held:

• You have been an eBay member for less than 6 months, and you sell an item for more than $100
  • You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, and you sell an item for more than $100
  • You have a buyer dissatisfaction percentage* greater than 5%
  • You have an average DSR of less than 4.5
  • You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months
  • You are listing your item in a high-risk category such as gift certificates, video games, cell phones, computers, or consumer electronics.

When will PayPal release the hold?
Your funds will be released when one of the following occurs:

• The buyer leaves you positive feedback
  • 3 days pass after proof the item was delivered**
  • 21 days pass without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on the transaction

We may hold the funds longer if your buyer files a dispute, claim, chargeback, reversal or has otherwise taken action to dispute the transaction.
Learn more about the PayPal policy for payment holds for eBay items.

• Buyer dissatisfaction percentage is measured by adding negative events as a percentage of your transactions. Negative events include negative & neutral Feedback, Detailed Seller Ratings scores of 2 or less, and Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described disputes.
    ** This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. If a payment is being held, it will be shown as “Pending” in your PayPal account until it is released.

Get a paypal debit card, and take it to the bank for a cash advance.

Paypal will give you the 1 percent, and they don’t charge a cash advance fee.

I used to do this every day when i was a semi big baller on ebay.

I have a paypal debit card and have had one since they came out with them

dosent matter the money is “pending” I cant touch it

It’s amazing what they can get away with. I had a guy buy a $100 headlight from me, and try a chargeback 2 days later. They held my money for over a month. I had delivery confirmation, emails where the guy admitted to receiving it, and shortly after the buyer had a ‘negative positive’ feedback come in stating he tried the same thing with someone else. He was obviously an noobie scammer- after I threatened to file mail fraud charges against him he wanted to return the light, and I told him no fucking way, I’m not loosing what I spent to ship it. I got my money back at least.

I like the whole seller can’t leave buyer neutral or negative feedback. Gives the buyer the opportunity to leave truthful feedback instead of worrying about the seller’s rebuttal.

yeah like there arent scumbag buyers, this dude has dicked me around for 11 days and he will keep his 100% feedback

trust me if you have ever sold on eBay in any capacity you would know alot of buyers deserve negative

That works out great for the people who just don’t feel like paying for what they buy, or the guy who tried to scam me out of $100. It’s nice to know who to avoid. I used to look at peoples feedback when they’d ask me a question about what I was selling, and sometimes I’d just say “no thanks”. Technically, giving a ‘negative positive’ is against eBay rules too.

yea, thats why i stay away from ebay.

+1 think of eBay like this, someone on nyspeed calls dibs on a part and then you wait almost 2 fucking weeks to get paid

in the meantime if you sell it to someone else or make any negative remark about them, well then your in trouble

and to top it off when you do get paid paypal says they will hold your payment until the buyer gets the part (at the sellers cost initially) , inspects it and then oks it

anyone want to vote to adopt eBay/Paypal rules for the classified forums here?

I think CKY should start buying on eBay, its a way better scam than selling

i havent had any problems with ebay yet, but ive only sold like 5 things and bought 5, i sold a 600$ turbo and fuckin paypal charged me 20$. its not that big of a deal, but between shipping being 31$, then 20$ paypal fee, then the ebay costs for selling, i lost like 100$.

Had that happen to me two days ago, never before but I think it might be something new. And ya it sucks that you have to cover the shipping on the item.

I’ve sold lots of things on ebay (probably 100 or so items and still at 100%). Never once have I worried about a buyer giving me negative feedback, but as a buyer myself I’ve worried about a seller giving me bad feedback when I have had issues with them.

When selling I would always wait for the persons money to get deposited then transfer it to my bank account to verify it’s legitimacy and then ship the item out, and never had an issue.

Here’s what I always do to be safe:

1. Choose the option to not allow users with below 1 feedback bid on the item (in reality I wish this was more like 10)
  2. Accept paypal and state in my ad that I will ship once the funds clear.
  3. Upon sale, check the users feedback and if he is perfect then typically I’ll ship it before the funds clear cuz it’ll be trustworthy.
  4. If I do feel a need to wait for the funds to clear, let them clear to my bank account. Then ship always delivery conf. (it’s free when you print from online) and take pictures of item being packaged and of the package when you ship out.
  5. Also always provide the option for insurance, in the case the package is damaged in shipment I have a) pictures prior to shipment to verify my side and b) decline of insurance by the buyer.

Those have helped me have no problems what so ever selling on eBay. I haven’t sold anything in awhile because I learned forums and craigslist are free and don’t take a combined 7% out.

consider yourself extremely lucky you have never had a dick buyer, I have sold cars with the terms stated clearly only to have the buyer try and make up their own terms.

I had one dick once want the title before they remited any payment, they wouldnt budge and I wouldnt budge and I was left negative (this was on an old account)

another time the dude wanted to have the car professionally inspected (after he won the auction) before he paid a cent= fail

you’d be suprised how many times people bid with no intent of paying at all, its like oh wow I won, cool!
and thats it, the thrill of the victory
and then when you wait 2 fucking weeks for eBay to refund your fees you leave them negative and get negative in return

I have gotten scammed by dudes wanting cds and what not sent international via surface mail, well they say the cd never showed and since you cant track that shit= your screwed

and lastly your missing the point paypal is forcing you to ship BEFORE the funds are avaliable

from now on I am only doing postal money order, if someone cant spend $1 or less and take 5 mins of their time they cant want it too badly

I’ve had people bid and win with no payment before but I’ve just relisted immediately and sold it to someone else.

Never had paypal demand me ship something before payment though so I see your side now. Sucks.

I just think non paying bidders should get negative feedback, no one likes to sell to a flake

and yeah paypal wants this fucking guy to leave me positive feedback before they clear it or wait 3 days until after the delivery has been confirmed

luckily shipping was only like $8 but between eBay, paypal and shipping I am out like $20 and my item and havent seen a dime

I’m glad it was something small but wtf would you do if you had to ship a set of rims with tires or something?

Paypal TELLS you to not ship the item until the payment has CLEARED

Some of that is pretty tough if you sell in volume. I always buy labels online and get the free delivery confirmation. If I get an ‘eCheck’ on PayPal, I don’t ship until it clears. otherwise, people want their stuff quick. Piss them off- negative feedback.

And for those who don’t know, eBay no longer allows buyers to pay by money order. Unless you can accept credit card in a different way, PayPal pretty much monopolizes the payment process. People still send money orders anyway, and I still accept them, I just don’t put it in the auction.

not anymore, the status clearly states “oh hold, ship now”

Payment From douglas xxxxxxxxxxxx Jan. 13, 2009 On Hold - Ship now Details https://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-550-20090106-1/en_US/i/btn/btn_checkShipment.gif $262.00 USD -$7.90 USD

Ship Now Payment Status: On Hold - Ship now
What should I do now?
We’ve completed Payment Review and placed a temporary hold on this transaction.

To get the funds sooner, please ship right away. We’ll release the hold after 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction.

We may release the hold earlier if:

•The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay
•We confirm that the item was delivered
Learn more about the PayPal policy for payment holds for eBay items.

yes paypal does suck. I just shipped 2 items on ebay last week. One was 35 dollars to ship the other was 15. but I just got the $ in my account today. So 50 bucks out of pocket and sending them out hoping the buyer doesnt pull any shit on me. Plus the 7 bucks they sucked out of me for using their services.

Also ebay just deleted one of my auctions for “Circumvention of Ebay fees”. Because I listed 2 identical items in the same auction selling them as a pair. I see it done all the time. they said I was trying to save on listing fees but really that wasnt the intention. I hate mailed Ebay twice for doing that. Lost all my bidders and they kept my $ to list the auction too. FUCK EBAY and FUCK PAYPAL!

i usually charge for shipping?