PC Problem :(

well the other day I left my pc on overnight like I do 5 days a week, I woke up and windows put up some error about bad checksum(not a blue screen), then I went to reboot and then windows would load up for a second then reboot, so I thought maybe a windows file get corrupted somehow, I go to reformat my HDD partition with the OS on it, and everytime it tries to copy windows files it fucks up about 70% way through, same result even when I:

1. tried 3 different XP Pro CDs
  2. tried a different CD-Rom
  3. tried installing on a different HDD

I thought that the IDE controllers on the MB are shot, I went to compUSA bought a PCI IDE controller, then it would blue screen after the XP cd loads some initial drivers, I looked up the Hex code stop and it said it may have to do with a harware conflict with the PCI card I just put in… I returned the PCI IDE controller to compusa… and here I am wondering if I should just buy a new MB

How many IDE on boards are there? Have you tried replacing the IDE cable/different slot yet? (i kinda assume yes, but just asking anyways)

Also some other thoughts, have you run any memory diagnostics yet? If not run this.

http://www.memtest86.com/

If it does come back with anything, try reseating the memory or if you notice any corrosion clean the contacts with an eraser. It’s pretty rare for and IDE controller to go bad. And this takes about 10 minutes to check, as it can easily cause boot/installation issues. As well as misleading error messages on the install.

If you are trying the addon card, you might want to try disabling the on-board IDE controller if you havn’t already.

checksum usually means it forgot how much ram you had installed, and you need to install a new bios battery and reset the cmos jumper.

how did i miss the words checksum!?!?! HAHA replace you cmos battery.

I used to get checksum errors all the time back in college because the hardware we had to start with for trial and error was all from like 1992 and the batteries were shit.
Try that and go from there as well.

I still feel that the going to 70% and dying is either a cd/cdrom/ribbon problem

I reseated the RAM already, and cleared the BIOS. I used to have the memtest cd around but I lost it, I will have to ask a friend to burn me a copy. the RAM is only about a year old, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575

the board is 3 years old, I did try different IDE cables for shits, and where would I buy a new cmos battery? retail wise or buy online?

I have a brand new XP CD still in the wrapping that you could try if you want.

Right now is it still doing the freezing when you try to reinstall?

install linux…no seriously, its basically a big text file, and most run a memtest on startup. If everything looks good, try XP again.

I had the same problem with setting up XP ME with a newly built PC. T urned out that the ram (cheapo’s) were DOA.

Cuz if you don’t get this worked out lemme know, I’ll call my brother.

If you need anyone to look at it, I can plug it in and run diags on it tonight.

Its RAM. 99% sure :slight_smile:

Fuzzy was my intern. He knows what to do :slight_smile: Go fuzzy go!

thx but I think we found the problem, I just found my memtest, and ya, ouch memtest just gave me 1000s of errors :frowning: I hope the ram is still under warranty now what to do, this shit was very costly

edit: I changed the RAM off auto in the bios to 166 and now memtest is giving no errors

I changed the RAM off auto in the bios to 166 and now memtest is giving no errors

let it run overnight just to make sure… 10+ passes should do it :slight_smile:

you overclocking the RAM?

I was only clocking it before to DDR400 which it supports as well as the board, but I widened the the CAS latency and some cycles to OC the processor before which ran great for about a year…now it is on auto latency/cycles and set manual at 166(DDR333)

I installed windows fine now on it… but I will let the memtest go overnight to make sure

Edit: I just noticed, the bios and windows in only reading 768mb of my 2gigs of ram, the ram has a lifetime warranty(10 years) so should i send it into Corsair?

I also took one out and all it read was 384 mb of ram…

Yay for dead chips.

Corsair is an awesome company. I use to do some money moving for them. nothing like dealing with 30,000 dollar checks written to you. Very tempting.

But they are a great company to deal with on a consumer basis.

I may have to soon, I reseated the ram again and now it reads all 2048mb but now memtest will not run without giving 1000s of errors(on auto as well as several different combos I tried on manual)

even with all the errors, windows still runs but I have not tried any real programs

you dont want to run windows with bad RAM. that just guarantees you it’ll corrupt everything :slight_smile:

Do one stick at a time and determine which stick is bad. make sure it detects the right amount when each stick is in the computer individually.

But, there is definitely something not right. Weed out the bad stick. Most RAM has lifetime warranty :slight_smile: