PC suggestions

I’m about to do a reformat on the laptop… replacing XP Home with XP Pro… any suggestions for preventing spyware when I’m done? I’m not going to run any P2Ps, and I’ll be using Opera instead of IE. Any other ideas?

run a firewall? and myie2 is better then opera imo

adaware, spybot search and destroy,cw shredder and popup stopper. and if you google, they are all free :blue:

how do i firewall? i know how to run Windows built-in firewall, but isn’t it next-to-useless?

and what’s myie2?

myie2 is a browser and the windows firewall works if you set it up properly… also you can set the TCP/IP settings to only allow certain ports in or out

shit… after a fresh format, installing xp pro, and running no P2Ps, my laptop is fast as fuck.

Firefox > *.browsers

and you should hook a nga up with that XP Pro install CD.

:naughty:

Ok…

IE has SECURITY flaws that are excuted through scripts such as ActiveX and Javascript, DO NOT USE IE… No matter what firewall you put up, or turning off the activeX stuff (there are ways around it) spyware will be installed eventually…

Use mozilla firefox plain and simple… Get yourself a NAT gateway router and 99.9% of your problems go away. Also get rid of outlook for your email, it’s using the same HTML engine…

I’m using Opera. Is Firefox better?

As for Outlook, I don’t have POP3 email… I use Yahoo.

yahoo can conver to outlook for free

that’s the problem… some of those progam BRING IN pop ups…

just be smart about it… i suggest buying a watchgaurd fire box and running it in line…

i :heart: my firebox.

God yes…

Opera is a decent browser but not on the caliber of Firefox/IE. Don’t get me wrong I like IE but the abudance of exploits is getting ridiculous, I’m sure they’ll be coming for Firefox soon too…