Peeon Neon input shaft seal replacement.

Hi all. I was volenteared this up coming weekend to do an input shaft seal on my in-law’s 99? neon… I did a timing belt on that hooptie not too long a go but now its time for the seal. i haven’t had a chance to look at it yet and never really do anything on neons due to my total lack of respect for those vehicles so I was just wondering. Do I need to take the engine and tranny out of the vehicle as a package? or can I just separate the tranny from the motor and wiggle the tranny out from underneath?

Thank you all in advance for any input.

Who said the input shaft seal? The input shaft bearing and output bearing side has a cover and I believe theres a seal there but not sure exactly what your talking about. I’m geussing its atx if it was mtx I’d be able to help. But in terms of the transmission you have to take it off seperately from the engine.

The input shaft seal. Its the seal the torque converter slides through. I know I have to separate the tranny from the engine. I was just curious if Id have to take the engine and tranny out as a package and than separate, or if I can just leave the motor in the car and pop the tranny off.

Total lack of respect for them uh? Have fun, pulling the engine/trans is easy.

O ya, idk about atxs.

can i point out his attempt to spell “VOLUNTEERED” failed miserably? lol.

Wow awesome, so thanks for your input. Now do you have any relevant information? Not to be a jackass but i give as I get.

Haha. All right maybe not a total lack of respect. I have seen a few built ones in my time that can hold their own against moderately built V6’s. But they just dont really appeal to me

you cant be serious? hold up against moderatley built v6’s? theres neon owners on here who have ran low 10’s

gtfo

Where?

neons.org, definitely not here , most are shitty though. The majority of the “fast” ones are at high 10’s though, very few make it past that. A 128 - 130 trap speed nets high 10’s. I made ~ 400 on pump gas in mine, not sure who else local has put down big numbers with them. Its like any car, throw enough money at it, and they are fast. 2400 lbs and 500 whp goes a long way, if you can fit a big enough tire under there.

–mark

Ah how true.

So Neon GLH can you shed some light on my dilema? Ill get to check the car out this weekend so its no problem, its just bothering me because i dont remember if I could pull the trans out by it’s self or If I need to take the whole trans engine combo out.

You can pull the trans out by itself, but its really a lot of work. We did it a bunch of times, and it was faster and easier for us to pull the whole engine. That was with an MTX though, and us trying to line up the clutch and all of the bolts and such. I’m not sure if an ATX would be easier or more difficult.

Fastest way for us to pull the motor was to pull out all the easy stuff like battery box, radiator, intake piping. Then undo the exhaust at the donut gasket, you can leave both manifolds on.

Undo the bobble strut, and front motor mount, the motor will be hanging on the passenger and trans mounts. From there, pop the ball joints, and then the axles can come out. Get some good mounting points for the engine hoist, and pull it. 1 bolt on each mount (passenger and trans) and it pulls right out.

Installation is just as easy, just make sure you get everything back together properly. The good thing is the engine harness separates from the body harness, so you can pull the whole thing with just one disconnect, and then the starter wires.

Brent_Strong can tell you if I am leaving out any major things, but thats the majority of it. My buddy dominick can do it in 5 hours start to finish (bull trans and swap it) by himself. Expect to spend a weekend if its your first time.

Worth nothing, these cars are notorious for the head gasket going, so make sure 100% that its a trans seal before you start :slight_smile:

–mark

wat? no link to the dominic trans swap vid. weeek

Being an auto, I’d probably pull it out the side. Shouldn’t be too bad of a job, but I’ve never worked on an auto.

Just took a quick look at it today. It is the TC seal for sure. I took the car around the block and parked it on the ramps in the garage. with the egine running the trans dripped verry little, maybe a drop every 2 seconds or so. As soon as i shut it down it pissed trans fluid out of the crack where the engine and tranny meet. Where that little stamped metal flex plate shield thingy is. From the looks of it I should be able to pull the tranny out on its own no problem. But since the engine and tranny pull would probably be faster for me with less effort Im probably going to pull everything out as a package.

is this for the kay family?

Ummm…Maybe. Who’s asking?

Nivek is :stuck_out_tongue:

aight. shafts are out Tranny is drained. Random other crap is disconnected. Dropping the thing tomorrow because after work today I doubt I have any strength left lol. I changed my mind and decided to leave the engine in . i just didnt feel like messing with the Ac charge and coolant. my garage floor is wet enaugh lol .