Pen's Newest Acquisitions

Gotta love it when players waive their no trade clause to goto the pens:

Today so far we picked up Gary Roberts and Georges Laraque

Georges Laraque is obivously a complete badass, see below:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07058/765336-100.stm

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07058/765357-100.stm

http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28578&page=29

i like his fighting style

cant watch…work blockage ftl…but seriously where does this guy fit in? How much ice time will he get? It will be just like last year when we had Cairns and Roy…both didnt get that much ice time and Roy was like 1.2 mil per year…I do agree we need some toughness on the team. But with the NHL now you need a good two way player…who is smart and can play physical while being able to beat dude’s asses when needed.

laraque is sweet tho

He won’t be here for ice time. Just the presence of him on the bench might help Malkin and Crosby from getting the shit beat out of them game after game. If you notice, both of them are so beat up now their game is way off. I think he is a good catch as long as they use him. If any of you guys remember when Caufield hit the ice, he wasn’t there for his hockey skills.

Dominic Moore to Minnesota for a 3rd round pick

This isn’t the old NHL though. It’s a far different game now.

Laraque is no bum. He is talented. He’s not Rick Tocchet talented, but he’s no Tie Domi or Cory Cross either. I like that pickup. It really really looks like they are building for a playoff run the next two years.

There has to be at least one more trade in the works though. Armstrong, Ekman, or Malone are my 3 guesses. They have to offload another forward here before the end of the day.

I agree…there had to be a forward in the works…we have to make room for 3 forwards now (assuming he aquire laraque).

BTW

http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?p=529214#post529214

As much as they want you to believe that the NHL has changed, there is still a need for the enforcer…Example…a couple of games ago, someone beat the shit out of Armstrong right at center ice, ref stood and watched, never called anything. That was the time they needed an enforcer type…If the Pens can strengthen their defense, they will be unstopable

i wouldnt say that. they are still very inconsistant. i think teams like NJ, TB, Atlanta, Buffalo are better built and more well rounded for the playoff run. we are a year or so away from being possibly unstoppable.

If we needed an enforcer and an enforcer only, we would have kept Andre Roy, or brought up one of the two thugs we have down in Wilkes-Barre. But we didn’t. Laraque has offensive talent. He is a downright fabulous forechecker. He will cause problems for other teams, outside of coming in to bitch slap opponents.

His fighting is a definite bonus, but I wouldn’t expect him to come in and fight immediately. He is sort of like having nuclear missiles. Nobody fucks with someone with nukes because they are afraid of the retaliation. This is the same thing.

As far as the defense goes, it needs strengthened for sure, but nothing that they can do right now is going to help that. They cut the fat last year getting rid of Tarnstrom and Jackman, they’ll do the same this year with Welch (whom I really cooled on) and Melichar or Nasreddine. Expect Letang to play major minutes next year and be a force.

^^^…I like this guy…smart man

Melichar scares me everytime he touches the puck…lol…Gonchar is playing very good which is surprising for how bad he sucked last year…To me, everytime Gonchar is on the ice, and has the puck in the defensive end, you know he won’t fuck up…A couple more defensmen like that, and all will be well.

except he was the one who tried sayin welch shouldve been on the first line instead of gonchar…lol

its cool tho bravada, we’re still buds :love:

Take it from a guy who has been a Pens fan since Rick Kehoe was the star, yes that was pre Mario, this team now is very good. So lets sit back and hope they stay in town, hope the owners don’t go Rooney on us [cheap], and enjoy, because the next couple of years are gonna be a hell of a ride…

School blockage FTL

how about colby getting smashed off the open bench :ugh: