Permit Test

I am going to take my permit test at lunch. If I already have a Class D license, do I just bring that or do I need my social security card and/or birth certificate or am I ok with just that form?

Also, I have been riding the last few weeks on my friends 600 bike practicing for the license test. He is going out of town for a month and offered the bike to me to use and practice for the test. He can just add me to his insurance for the month correct so I am covered?

Any other things I should know? All his protective gear fits me so I am covered in that aspect.

Also, there has been a lot of posts about riding without a license and getting pulled over. No one has suffered a hit on their drivers license right? Just a lot of BS and the risk of getting impounded? I am not ready for highway driving but I do drive around the towns which I figure I am more likely to get pulled over I figure.

Lastly, what type of insurance does a stolen bike cover? I have to ask my friend his current plan but his bike will be outside my house on the side behind a fence but I will not have a full garage to keep it.

your license is fine… and it cake walk…

just be prepared to get you license in a year as they expire in 1 year.

^ Word.

Honestly, the bike permit test is pretty much the same as the reg license. Super easy. If you can’t pass it now, you truly should not be riding on public roads.

i’ve been riding for 4 years.

got my permit on friday.

lol

Just remember: do “NOT” drink and drive and you’ll pass. Get it backwards and you’ll fail.

You’re technically not allowed to ride by yourself on just a permit, but that doesn’t really seem to be enforced.

There was a ghetto dude there taking his drivers license test. He was easily 25+.

He got 15 out of 20 wrong.

LOL

Ya I know about the laws. Just I only know a few people that are learning and like riding around in circles on city roads because I am not ready for highways yet.

The book had a lot of dumb acronyms. Are they on the test? Other than that it seemed like common sense.

Also, does the DMV take credit or do I have to stop at the bank?

My test had 2 questions about how to adjust your mirrors and one about how to carry a load (low and forward)

What about the insuranace thing? If someone has a motorcycle insured, can they loan it to other people to use or do I need to be added to the policy?

What about theft?

they take plastic/ well most do…

insurence in NY covers the vehical not the driver… so the bike would be covered if you rode someone elses… as for the theft that would have to be part of the policy…

Well if he has medical coverage for the rider, does that pass over to anyone riding or do I need to be added?

Not sure that you may have to check with the insurance company… though they will probibly say you need to be added…

Permit test is super easy. You can renew your permit after 1yr, but after 2yrs you have to take the test again.

lol if i passed it you should have no problems

Yea i just blew through the book. Pretty basic and most of it is common sense it seems. Just gotta figure out the insurance thing with my buddy before he leaves so I have a bike to practice on next month.

i dont know which posts of yours to take seriously but if you are being serious, what changed your mind about getting it?

Didnt look at a book, didnt know there was a book, and I got 2 wrong. If you fail you dont belong on the road.

i got pulled over and almost got arrested…

I’ve been pulled over 3 times this weekend, just so the cop could see that I actually had a license.

Each time I was going the speed limit, not doing anything wrong etc.

So many people are buying bikes for “gas mileage” that they started cracking down.

Thats my fear. I am not ready for highway so I will be driving through towns like Amherst, Tonawanda, and North Tonawanda on a daily basis and only can use excuses only so much.

Being a beginner its harder to find people to ride with since I don’t go on highways.

I passed. Only missed one and it was a really weird question. Maybe someone can answer it or remembers it.

Automobile drivers must follow the same laws as cyclists except that:

1. They are not required to report crashes resulting in injury
  2. They are not required to insure their vehicles
  3. They are not required to signal

The answer is 2 which I dont get.