phone alternitives...

ok, so trying to figure out a budget and getting a land line phone is outragous considering I almost never use the phone. MCI wanted like 30.00 a month for just basic service and then the lady started telling me about all these extra surcharges and stuff. hell with that.

Verizon is even worse… like 40.00 a month for their basic plan.

So I figure the only way to go would be a cell phone. Cingular wanted 300 deposit to re-activate my phone (I dont see why, as my credit score is near perfect these days)… so they can go suck on a fat one as far as I’m concerned.

Does anyone have a pre-paid joint? I used to have one years and years ago and I remember them being pretty expensive, but I’m sure it’s cheeper these days. Any reccomended plans/providers?

thanks… this shit is making me crazy.

My wife’s cell is a pre-paid, but only because she pretty much never uses it. She wants one for emergencies and I got sick of paying $30 a month and seeing 5-10 minutes of usage on her bill. I wouldn’t really suggest it for a land line replacement though.

Do you have highspeed internet? If so why not sign up for vonage? $27 a month after taxes and you get every feature you can think of.

well, at my new apartment basic cable is included… not sure if I’m elegable for powerlink or not, but even if I was… I’m not sure I could afford it anyway.

same with DSL… I think naked DSL, she said, was 35 a month… so on top of that I’d be paying another 30.00 a month :frowning:

I really need to get rid of the mustang… maybe I’ll just go without a phone until then. Right now, with all my bills (NOT including phone)… I’m going to be living on about 150.00 a month for food/laundry/gas/ect. so I have to be real cheep for a while lol

vonage rocks… when it works. I have not been able to make outgoing calls for 3 weeks now because something happened in the system and they cant figure it out. They did however assure me that this never happens and i won’t pay a dime untill it is fixed. :tup: to outstanding customer service, and :cjerk: to tech support

VoIP ftw

my vonage has been fine.

prepaid verizon is just as expensive as regular verizon, its just for people who cant pass credit.

there are other prepaid services as well.

i would see what other companies want as a deposit/if they want one

i know sprint is pretty easy, and they have a $30/200 minute plan that flex’s

Vonage rocks ass

Family plans FTW

That would be an idea if work didn’t give me a cell phone. I should see if they’d switch it over to giving me X dollars each month and let me get my own phone. Though right now it’s pretty cool because I never even see my cell bill. Not really worth it since I think my wife’s phone is costing me about 25 bucks every 3 months to keep airtime on.

a can with a string attached…u asked for an alternative lol.

Sprint and T-mobile have more lax credit policies, so you may be able to get one line w/ 0 deposit…but the service will suck.

or go with cingular Go Phone…it’s prepaid but a little different

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/gophone/index.jsp

it used to be ATT wireless go phone but they got bought out. I know when it was ATT if you used the prepaid/go pgone for a certain amount of time they would approve you for one normal line of service with no credit check.

but your gonna want to ask about that, im not sure if cingular kept that policy.

-cheater-

thanks bro… question, with your prepaid… did you get voice mail?

my sprint service is far from sucking…

ive used a tmobile phone for about 5 months too, that was horrendous.

sprint now has unlimited roaming for free as well. i dont ever use it though.

i will however be going to verizon when my contract is up, perhaps sooner.

My sprint is decent except for my actual house, border west falls in EA.