Pick car you would choose with this in mind...

Okay, maybe I was wrong about you wanting a car that handles. An Auto E36 M3 is gonna suck and take away a lot of the fun in driving it. And it will not be fast.

See my post above. They are very reliable (better than any later BMW) but again, they have issues. There’s the stuff I listed above, and also the fuel pumps fail (forgot about that one in my first post) and there are some electrical issues, the on-board trip computers quit but they’re basically useless anyway.

1. Yeah, they’re cool.
  2. Eh, they are pretty cheap to mod. They have a giant aftermarket and since most everybody mods them the common stuff is cheapish.
  3. Depends on if he can do the work himself or not. BMW-specific shops tend to have outrageous labor rates. But you do want to consult a BMW shop since the thing with these cars are the problems are all “well known” and can be addressed before they are bad. That being said if you reference these (I race w/ the Edge guys a lot and know Eric the owner, very good guys): http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311638 & Auto Repair, San Ramon CA | EDGE Motorworks
  4. True, they do hold value very well. But they are pretty reasonable on the used market these days.
  5. I don’t see buying a 3rd Gen Fbody as a good move for a DD. They are cheap, you are right. There is a huge aftermarket, you are right. And they can be fun fast cars. But from the guy’s posting so far they don’t seem like “his thing” so much.

Why do you say that?

The 1IS’s are pretty cool. But I doubt it’s going to be in his 10k range. If he could make a stick IS happen that’d be pretty awesome.

If (and apparently that’s still a big if) he cares about handling I don’t see the GTP as a great platform. Nose-heavy FWD GM.

Truth.

FWIW when I got my '99 Z28 forever ago my buddy got a '95 M3 2 weeks later. We both had the cars for about 6 years. He had more issues than me, but nothing too major and he was sort of bad about regular services. But, I always got MUCH better fuel mileage than him. The M3 was in the higher teens usually average on a tank. The Z28 I could do 28+ freeway and average tanks with mostly city driving I would do about 20. Keep in mind a E36 M3 has a 1:1 5th gear (no overdrive) in it’s 5spd but the LS1 cars have a .75 5th and .5 6th (4th is the 1:1) so at 65mph you’re barely turning 1,500rpm.

-TJ