Pink Floyd

Agreed on everything but the “purist” standpoint. Quite the contrary. True purists repsect rest values and how one note can be played with tone and feeling, as much if not more than speed and dexterity. Having all of it is awesome (someone like Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits comes to mind), but being able to shape and feel one note means so much more to me. Well placed rests are every bit as important as the notes. Comfortably Numb is still one of the all time great solos. Not a ton of notes, but feels perfect.
But, when I was talking about sonic structure, I meant more from an entire production standpoint. Not just guiter. In fact I wasn’t even thinking guitarother than comparing to Hendrix. I meant they were doing things at the time that with the technology available, weren’t supposed to be able to be done. Like Hendrix.
And as for album sales, look at the album that’s been in the top billboard charts forever. Dark Side of the Moon. Talk to me in almost 40 years and see if Brit-brit is on that list still.