Pink Floyd

Britney Spears has sold 1.3 million in a week, so she must be freakin’ awesome.

And Menudo has sold over 60 million, so they’re right up there too.

What is it about you that makes me want to argue about stuff I don’t even care about? That’s gotta be a marketable skill somehow!

Don’t forget abba and the bee gees. Freakin’ awesome !!:rofl::rofl:

lol @ you looking up Menudo record sales stats.

Agreed on everything but the “purist” standpoint. Quite the contrary. True purists repsect rest values and how one note can be played with tone and feeling, as much if not more than speed and dexterity. Having all of it is awesome (someone like Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits comes to mind), but being able to shape and feel one note means so much more to me. Well placed rests are every bit as important as the notes. Comfortably Numb is still one of the all time great solos. Not a ton of notes, but feels perfect.
But, when I was talking about sonic structure, I meant more from an entire production standpoint. Not just guiter. In fact I wasn’t even thinking guitarother than comparing to Hendrix. I meant they were doing things at the time that with the technology available, weren’t supposed to be able to be done. Like Hendrix.
And as for album sales, look at the album that’s been in the top billboard charts forever. Dark Side of the Moon. Talk to me in almost 40 years and see if Brit-brit is on that list still.

She’ll ALWAYS be on my list. :kekegay:

In the USA the LP was released before the introduction of platinum awards on 1 January 1976. It therefore held only a gold disc until 16 February 1990 when, following the release of the album on CD, it was certified 11x platinum. On 4 June 1998 the RIAA certified the album 15x platinum,[40] denoting sales of fifteen million in the United States alone—making it their biggest-selling album there (The Wall is 23x platinum, but as a double album this signifies sales of 11.5 million).[64] “Time”, “Money” and “Us and Them” remain radio favourites, with “Money” having sold well as a single in its own right.[58] Industry sources suggest that worldwide sales of the album total about forty million. Between 8,000–9,000 copies are sold each week,[59], and a total of 400,000 were sold in 2002, making it the 200th best-selling album of that year — nearly three decades after its initial release. According to an 2 August 2006 Wall Street Journal article, although the album was released in 1973, it has sold 7.7 million copies since 1991 in the USA alone and continues to log 9,600 sales per week domestically.[65] To this day, it occupies a prominent spot on Billboard’s Pop Catalogue Chart. It reached #1 when the 2003 hybrid CD/SACD edition was released and sold 800,000 copies in the USA alone.[40] On the week of 5 May 2006 The Dark Side of the Moon achieved a combined total of 1,500 weeks on the Billboard 200 and Pop Catalogue charts.[47] It is estimated that one in every fourteen people in the USA under the age of fifty owns or has owned a copy.[40]

Pink Floyd FTMFW.