Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

I have always had problems with them.

wow bics that’s crazy, what were the name on the weights? I have some “cap” weights and “fitness gear” both from dicks, about 300lbs all together I guess. Ha guess I’ll weigh em out, they all look the same though. I’m not wild about the fitness gear but that’s all they had. Cap is nice

The best routine in the world will do nothing for you without proper nutrion and rest. Do some research ahead of time and avoid wasting an entire year.

Read the info below before you “Forget the supplements”

Protein contains 4 calories per gram
Carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram
Fat contains 9 calories per gram

If your BMR is 2000 calories per day and you split it 40/40/20 (40% Protein, 40% Carbs, 20% Fat) this = 200 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs, and 100 grams of fat per day.

Your 2 hardboiled eggs = about 12 grams of protein and a 6 oz grilled chicken breast = about 40 grams. This = a whopping 52 grams of protein. You are short about 150 grams of protein EVERYDAY. You need to eat 3 more chicken breasts and 3 or 4 more hard boiled egg whites EVERYDAY. DAILY Chicken total: 4-6oz (1.5#) breast (grilled) and 6 hard boiled eggs. WEEKLY CHICKEN TOTAL: 3.5 dozen eggs and 10.5 Pounds of chicken

Lets compare: Boiling 15 dozen eggs and grilling 45 pounds of chicken every month or just stopping by your favorite nutritional store and picking up a tub of whey protein powder?

Of course this is based on a 2000 calorie per day diet.

Yep I bought the “Fitness Gear” brand…hopefully is was a rare flaw. The second one I got weighed 45 lbs

Ive always tried to steer clear of supplements and get most of my nutritional needs from food. your body accepts carbs/proteins from food a little better than it does from supplementing. my $.02 is if you can afford the time/$ to eat right then thats what you should do. again…just my 2 pennies

you do realize that the 90 percent of nutrients found in supplements are derived from whole food sources, right? There is no difference aside from a few vitamins that can be synthetically made like vitamin e.

I knew this would come up, so let’s talk about the biological value of protein. :slight_smile:

The Biological Value chart is a chart that shows how much of a given food item is utilized by the human body. BV (biological value) = (nitrogen retained / nitrogen absorbed) * 100. BV refers to how well and how quickly your body will use the protein that you consume.

Eggs have a BV value of 100%.
Chicken = 79%
Lean Beef is 80%
Fish = 83%

These values are all very similar depending on the chart you look at. Some charts will have eggs at 93.7 or 94%. No matter, eggs were thought to have the highest BV of any protein that humans consume and all other foods are rated against eggs. Once whey protein was discovered the BV scale was extended.

So what tops the list?

Whey protein. Actually Whey Protein Isolate has a BV of 157. Whey Protein Isolate is digested and is available for use by the body in as little as 10 minutes. There are some downsides to this. The easier that protein absorbs, the faster the protein is rendered useless in the body.

Timing of protein intake is critical too. Casein protein should be taken before bed, because they are slow digesting. Whey protein isolate should be taken immediately before your workout.

It is no secret that the body needs fuel for optimal growth. Timing of the nutrition is critcal so why not maximize every workout? In order to have usable protein at your 7am workout, you would have to get up and eat a chicken breast, steak, fish, or eggs at 4-430am. This interrupts the valueable sleeping cycle your body needs to recuperate. Get up at 6 have a Whey protein isolate shake and then do your workout at 7 am. Eat solid foods for the rest of the day. It’s too easy. Supplements are just that: supplements to your normal diet.

Here are some links to some useful calculators:

BMR Calculator

Heart Rate Calculator

There are a few other good ones in my other computer…

Hey here is an update on me…lol

How about I’m going to have my gall bladder removed in the next few weeks. I have to go have it confirmed this thursday by ultrasound. They think because of the major diet changes I made and lost all that weight it affected the bile content in my gall bladder and it produced stones…lol

Fucking figures, loose weight get my BP back to normal now I have to go for surgery…lol :smiley:

Wow that’s crazy…and sucks. so how long are you gonna be laid up?

I’m not sure, I went in for the ultrasound today and I saw the stones on the monitor. They arn’t huge but big enough to cause me problems, so I should be able to get the laparoscopic surgery done and should only be out of commission for a few days as long as everything goes ok. They are going to try and get the results to my doctor today and then I have to talk to him to see how to proceed.

Good news is I may loose even more weight since the gallbladder’s primary function is to store bile from the liver which helps break down fat so it can be digested into the system.

quit drinking sugared drinks a few days ago. dropped the fruity pebbles in favour of Oatmeal Crisp. limiting portions as well. might switch to whole grain breads and pastas.

dropped from 230 to 205 in the last few months, continuing downward, probably stop around 185… i’m six foot, so i don’t want to hit 150 or anything.

Sweet…diet is everyhting…I would say 185 is a bit light for 6 foot tho…205 is a decent weight for that height. I am almost 6’1" and 210 and I would love to gain another 15-20 lbs.

agreed 6 foot i’d like to be 220 at that height…i’m like 5’8 or 5’9 and only 160. i want to be 185-190 but i dont think it will happen anytime soon

Oh and i was jsut reading the last 2 pages about the HIT program. I assume thats high intensity training by the references of goin to failure?
Any other kind of advice can you give on this type of routine? Such as how long to stay on that program and when to take a break and what to do on that break time?

I been doing the train to failure and lift heavy type exercising for a while, and noticed solid gains when i first started and then hit a plateau… couldnt get over it. even had some pain/injurys develop in my shoulders/arms/etc at times and i had to stop lifting abit or go lighter. Still have a bit of hurt in my left shoulder from benching at times and i stretch the hell out of it before hand and afterward. Seems like my body is falling apart at times…and i knew i needed more rest. i’m never really sore when i go into lift, as i give a few days between lifts to rest, just sometimes feel the tightness/pain in the shoulder while benching a heavy set

I never really kept off the program long enough whenever i changed to more rep/lighter weight workout. i have taken a week off here and there but i think i need more time off. I know i’m not eating enough or supplying enough good nutrients tho which i will have to improve on.

I now am doing a few weeks of lighter weight higher rep lifting and see where that gets me. i plan on another 2 weeks of this style to make 4 weeks total of light weight/high rep before i go back on my low rep high weight lifting routine. I plan to keep on that for 4-5 weeks and then get off to do the light routine again for 4 weeks.

I hope it works out cuz its frustrating to me at this point to not be where i thought i was going to be. i been at the same wieght for awhile and only marginal increases in power. I plan to keep better track of my food intake and protein intake. I hope to start gaining more weight and increasing my power.

When i went to Basic Training in 87, I was 17, 5’9" and weighed 160. I graduated basic and weighed 162.

I got out to California and put on 13 pounds.

Went back in the Army in 93 at age 22 weighing 179 or something. I lost a few pounds due to training… and when I got to Hawaii I put on another 10 pounds. I left Hawaii @ 185 in 96.

For some reason :beer: I just slowly kept putting on the pounds and when I finally got out of the Army in 2001 I weighed in over 215 and got up to 230 at one point. I had enough at that point and started fixing stuff.

I want to see 200 by October or atleast a bodyfat percentage in the mid-teens. The body fat reduction is what i am most interested in, but I will still be over 200 Pounds.

i been puttin on a few pounds overall since i started lifting but nothing incredible.

graduated highschool in '03…weighed a meager 126-130.

started sophmore year in college i got up to 145 or so. Junior year i was 155 i think at the begining, hitting 162 at one point.

Now i’m hovering at 158-160…high point. seems like the last year i been the same and only changed in strength, only marginally tho

HIT training emphasizes 2 very important things: Lifting to failure or almost failure and getting enough rest. It is potentially unsafe reach positive failure when lifting alone (Squats and Bench press) but it is possible.

HIT is about doing 1 set to failure. Choose a weight that will allow you to reach failure in 8-12 reps. Keeping a journal is very important so you can check your progress.

I started doing 11 exercises:

Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
Calf Raises
Dumbell Pullovers (Straight Arm)
Seated Row
Bench Press
Standing Shoulder Press
Lying Tricep extensions
Bicep Curls with a barbell
Wrist curls
Crunches on an exercise ball

Do the exercises slowly without any jerky movements, without stopping and IN PERFECT FORM. The first week or 2 (or 3) should be used to figure out what weight you will need to use hit failure in 8-12 reps. I shoot for 8 and add weight when I reach 12.

I work out 2 or 3 times a week. The workout above workout is a beginner HIT routine. I dont have a leg press machine so I took that out and I substituted Lying tricep extensions for tricep extension with 1 dumbbell and crunches on the stability ball for trunk curls on the floor.

2 weeks ago I failed on the bench at 6 reps. This week I did 8 easily and failed on the 9th rep.

I like HIT because I can do the whole routine in less than 30 minutes, I am just as wiped out as when I used to do mulitple sets, and I work the entire body in one day.

A good book is called “The New High Intensity Training” written by Ellington Darden. I got it from the bookstore at Century 3 mall.

17yrsold

133lbs… 5-11 i need to gain weight…

any suggestions?

i’d do what Hero stated and try some high intensity training and using a good protein supplement. eating alot and good helps to.

Hero, my routine to date has been this currently for the last few months. I’ve been keepin a log for 2 years now.

weekends are off, i usually lift monday wednesday friday

currently i do a rotation where monday will be chest back shoulders abs. wednesday will be bi’s tri’s legs and traps.
Friday i go back to Chest/back/shoulders.
Monday i go back to bi’s tri’s legs traps
and so on

my heavy routine is usually failure around 5-6 for bench and 7-8 for most other exercises. I try to do 2 exercise per body part, except chest where i do 1. I’ll do two sets of each exercise and drop weight if i feel the need to on the second set to keep rep range i want. sometimes i dont tho.

Doing a similar routine but changing exercises on each rotating day netted me some great gains in power/strenght and little bit of weight when i first started it… just hasnt quite been the same since tho. I kept reaching a plateau. I entered the first year at pitt doing 175 on bench for 6-7. changed my routine to this heavy routine and in about 4 months i got to 195 for 10. Best gain i ever had. Summer time died down and didnt lift as much as i wanted. entered the new school year at around 185 for 7 or so. exited that school year at around 225 for 5-6. summer again, i didnt lift as much and about sustained 225 for the same reps. this year i got up to around 235 for 6 and i was there for several weeks hovering between 4-6 reps depending on how good i felt coming into the lift.
SO i changed to failure by 10-15 depending on exercise. I started 180 for 15 reps, and now got to 185 for 15 in 2 weeks…so its helping abit. I’ll try that for awhile and then go back to heavy. I’ll see what happens