Pittspeed, tail of the dragon.

Eric brought this up to me at the track today. Why not have a get together of pittspeed members that want to head down to the “tail of the dragon.” Sorry for being illy informed, but all I know is that it is a crazy fun drive threw a mountain. Posting this up to see who would be down for the event.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/freestuff/map_640.jpg

dunno if we will be able to do it this year but for next year I think it might be a hellova time.

sure!

That would be sweet!

x3

id be game for this

I’ve been wanting to do this for a loooong time!

always wanted to drive that road

where is it?

North Carolina

I would most likely be down for this.

I’d GTP it!

tenasaaww!

id be down

so i guess graham county NC is in Tennessee :nuts:

According to the map above, it’s in both.

I’d give it a go.

It’s definitely fun. I’d be down for a drive. There’s a ton of roads to drive, sites to see, etc.

It’s on the TN/NC border…

I just got back from an event there a week ago. We’ve had ZDayz there the past 4 years. From there, I made it to my house in about 9 hours (East Pittsburgh). Going there the past two times I’ve gone thru Columbus and Cinci, don’t go that way!!! 12 hours later…

The fastest way is to take 79S to 19S to 77S to 81S to 40W from there, there are a variety of ways to get to the dragon, just depends upon where you are staying (I’d recommend at Fontana Village resort if yall have a big group so you can be in the same area) The speed limit is basically 70 mph once you get out of PA. 19 is 65mph, and 55mph and there are a few stop lights. If you want to see some scenery, you will pass over the New River Bridge and there is a tourist stop there.

Things to know.

You will have NO cell phone service once you get onto 129. You have to either drive to Marysville or Robbinsville to get service. I think you can get service on the Cherohala skyway but not positive.

Robbinsville is a dry county so you can’t get beer or liquor there. Bryson City and Marysville are where you will have to go to get liquor. (Some of the service stations around the dragon/hellbender do carry beer, but it’s more expensive)

Bring two way radios and tune everyone into the same channel. Cells don’t work! Plus makes the drive down more entertaining :smiley:

Fontana Village Resort Cabins are pretty OK, decent accommodations. Not the BEST 5 star, but better than camping. There are linens and towels provided. Bring your own food if you don’t want to eat the greasy spoon food at the grill by the rec center, or drive 30 mins to get chow. Most of the cabins do NOT have phones. You CAN get wifi at the rec center if you want to get online and send out emails etc from your laptop. Make reservations ahead of time as most weekends during spring/summer the cabins fill up w/ various bike and car groups. ***Bring toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, ashtrays, flashlights (it’s really dark at night) extra batteries, cell phone chargers, bug spray (blood suckers down there) an extra set of keys to the car in case.

Car wise if you are going to be driving really hard, I’d recommend bringing an extra set of brake pads. I bring coolant and extra oil as well as windshield washer fluid. Make sure your brake system is in great condition before heading down there. Don’t bring broke shit. Some of the guys brought extra parts such as rotors, throttle bodies, plenums etc. If you are driving hard, the dragon likes to break things.

Bring a jacket even if it’s warm, it gets cold at night, and if you go up to the Cherohalla it’s like 20 degrees cooler up there.

Don’t cross the double yellow and keep your eyes peeled for bikers and truckers. If you wreck, you WILL get a ticket for crossing the yellow (and most likely end up WAY off road down in a ravine somewhere)

Last but not least, the dragon bites, beware, don’t get stupid!

:cool: I would be there.

Nice pics, I should take my Jeep and winch down there and start a recovery service!