Places to work on cars

Anyone know any good places to work on a car in Pittsburgh? An auto hobby shop would be awesome, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t anywhere like that around here. I tried looking at Craigslist for garages to rent, but can’t find anything reasonable and with electric.

So I was wondering if anyone ever tried renting a big ass self storage thingy, that somehow had electric, or if anyone knew of any auto shops that would rent out a bay or a spot or something. I don’t have a garage, and my street is a pretty damn decent hill. And to get any serious or major work done, it has to be somewhat nice out, and at that, since I’ll be working 50+ hour work weeks, I’ll probably have to leave things disassembled and stuff, which I don’t want in the street.

So basically I’m kinda at a loss for ideas on where I could find some place with a level concrete floor that’s protected from the elements and has some electric. Didn’t know if anyone knew of any other websites that advertise garage space, or anyone that knows a of place, or any other ideas I might be missing…thanks…

I always wanted to open up a place where you can rent out bays, tools, and etc

That would be really cool!

My friend’s brother is in the air force and he apparently has access to a garage, lift, any tools, air, etc. for $10 a day. Pretty cool :bigthumb:

I know TJ rented out a self storage unit to keep his Camaro in, but he didn’t work on it in there I don’t think. You might be able to work a deal with one to where they give you a stall close to some electric hook up and let you run an extension cord… the economy sucks I’m sure you can find someone willing to take your money.

kinda like the shop in the movie “Christine”?

I’ve know some friends to go in together on a wharehouse style garage and they would use it to store vehicles, work on them as well as a place to hang out, drink and play poker where the wife’s were never involved… I don’t remember what they paid, but it was in the Southside somewhere… something like 10 or 12 guys went in together on a good size wharehouse, and it was around 100-150 a month with utilities… at one point they had well over 20 cars being stored or worked on

Was there a blue viper once stored in said warehouse? If so I know where it is.

nah, I don’t think there were many cars pre-65. Mainly 50’s and “rat rods” and a handful of bikes… There could have been, but doubt it. “poker night” usually looked like a punk rock show

Oh, there is a warehouse across the street from Bar 11 that was at one time full of cars, I seen a blue with white striped Viper in there the one time I drove past when they had the door open… last time I went by there was a permit to serve alcoholic drinks on the door so I don’t know what they are doing with it now…

That’d be cool until a burnt, rusty Fury showed up.

was that in a movie? I never seen christine, just know its a movie about a car that kills people lol

nah but seriously, I always thought about doing something like that. before my dad sold our auto repair shop he wanted to expand, I brought up that idea and he was considering it.
he’s always wanted to open up a jetski rental on one of the rivers too, but thats a HUGE liability

i have looked into doing this with a building my family was looking into buying. insurance for something like that was through the roof. if i remember correct it was something like 10k a month due to injury and theft. most business insurance companys wont insure this type due to the liability. i can be done by renting space and having people sign waivers and having there own insurance

2 places North of Pgh. that might have something open, The first take 28 North to exit 13. Come down the off ramp, there will be a Sheetz on youre right hand side.Make a left(freeport rd) at next light make another left(bailies run rd) as you go under Rt.28 you will see a driveway on left. There is a big rental or buy sign. There are bldgs they rent-dont know if any are availale. The next option is take Rt.28 to exit 14.Come off the offramp, stay to left and make left at stop sign(Bull Creek Rd) follow it out a couple of miles and you will see signs for Harvey Lumber, they rent Bldgs. It is about 20mins North of Pgh.