Planning to buy a brand new cross-over SUV...

SANTA FE’S are really nice, every body that buys em swers buy them… Let me know if you are interested in going that route as i said a $3000 rebate and 0% is a hell of a deal!

^Thanks!

Well, $3000 rebate is definitely interesting to know.

I don’t think you can call Santa-Fe as “Cheaper” car, because they are really not that cheap…imo.

I’ve been shopping for these for the wife… her lease is up in a few months and she wants a small SUV.

We’re pretty much down selected to the Tribeca (we’re looking at used 06/07 probably). Close runner up’s were CX-7, Edge, Rogue, Murano. Overall the rogue was just flat out tiny (and I think they look pretty gay). The Edge is… ford, so it kind of worked itself out that way. The CX-7 is still being considered, but they feel pretty cheap. It drives like a car which is pretty nice, and it is pretty quick for a SUV. We are leaning towards the Tribeca limited because the interior is pretty f’ing sweet, and I obviously like Subaru. It drives nice, has 3rd row seating, its still pretty small on the outside but decent room inside.

It’s pretty slow, but who cares, I am not buying a SUV to race with (lol trailblazer SS :gay:).

cool, I saw your car at NT toyota

:tup:

we looked at a used CX7 and a Tribeca there… I liked the tribeca a lot, all though it was fucking filthy (it was pre-detailing though). But there literally was coffee/soda on every seat and there was food stuck to the dome light :lol:

unfortunately my wife’s lease is not “quite” ready to be turned in yet… it is about as dimpled as a golf ball.

If you have not drove the VW go do it, very fun for a cross over with the 2.0T in it.

Yeah, I definitely want to test drive all these vehicles.

In term of depreciation, who’s faster to “hit the water”?

1. Honda / Toyota (slower)
    #. VW? Hyundai? (faster)

My fiance has a CX-7. Gas mileage isn’t horrible. Turbo lag isn’t that noticeable. Its a small turbo and spools pretty quick. I don’t think the people doing the reviews have ever driven anything with a big turbo so I don’t know what they base their review on. Maybe 4 cylinder turbo versus an 6 or 8 NA where the power is more linear???

It can get out of its own way no problem. It rides nice and has decent amenities.

One bad part is it is turbo, and needs premium fuel and synthetic oil. Oil changes are a pain in the ass, as there is a large plastic cover on the bottom of the car that you need to remove to do the oil change. First time I did it, it changed a 20 minute oil change into a 40 minute oil change.

I can’t really comment on the others as I haven’t driven them.

Subaru Forester

Forester or Rav 4.

But really, seeing how all of these cars are brand new and plentiful at dealerships, why don’t you check them out and make the decision for yourself?

Thanks Carbonfiberhooded. That’s a great input on CX-7.

Yeah, I definitely want to try all of them in the dealer. However, I just want to educate myself to the fullest before meeting those sales person. I want to know what I am facing before stepping into car dealers.

Keep em’ coming. Thanks!

My girlfriends Dad was in this same situation less than a month ago, and he found out everything he needed to know just by going for test drives. It was a pain in the ass, but they finally found a car they wanted, and they went with the new Rav 4.

Does the Rav4 have a similar AWD system to the CR-V? If so, it’s more of a novelty. Very unpredictable (at least pre-2005 CR-Vmodels. I think they upgraded the differential and added a lock-up torque converter in order to make it less shitty). I’d go for the Forester.

^thanks for your input!

Yeah, I definitely want to try Subaru’s BOXER engine.

Another thing I like about RAV4 compared to CRV is RAV4’s auto tranny with manual shift mode.

Another question: 4-speed auto vs. 5-speed auto. Does it matter??

Forester or RAV4

No questions asked!

addendum: the problem I have with the CR-V’s awd system is that it takes awhile for the rear to engage, and even when the rear is engaged it doesn’t last for long. Presumably the upgrades fixed the latter problem, but I don’t see how it would improve how slow it is to react initially.

iirc, the Rav4 allows you, the studious driver, to engage the rear up until some speed (<20mph)

The subaru is supposedly the best crossover (motortrend)

the rav 4’s are great SUVS… i’ve driven a ton of them, go with the v6 though.
the 4cly is great around town but the v6 actually gets better mpgs on highway and it is actually pretty damn quick. ( 2 years ago was actually the fastest toyota made, now it’s the tundra)

The vw will be the most fun out of all, and the most characteristic. The toyotas are just TOO numb feeling for me.

as for reliability, the vw hasn’t been proven yet but the 2.0t is a GREAT motor, coupled with 4 motion, is one hell of a suv.

^Interesting point (RedGoober’s). Now I starting to remember reading somewhere about this topic.

Hm, good to hear positive opinions about Subaru Forester. Honestly, I didn’t research much about Forester.

VW probably ended up being the most expensive though?

The Rav 4 v6 is surprisingly fast. Even with 5 people it still pulled pretty hard on the highway.