Players suspended for missing All-star events

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Brian-Campbell-on-NHL-s-suspension-threat-to-inj;_ylt=AjmJKQScs.Pc.BjQ.e3W0QJ7vLYF?urn=nhl,136496

Cliffs:
Handful of players may get suspended for not showing up for NHL all-star events.

Talk about complete bullshit. How do you suspend a player who choses not to play in a game that doesn’t really mean anything in the first place? This years all star game is a joke anyways. Ovechkin not a starter? Mike Komisarek considered an all star? Gimme a break. The voting process is a joke and now Bettman wants to enforce some penalty like those selection should be taken seriously? Just another reason I feel Bettman needs to step down.

Because they are part of the league and they should no better than to skip out of it.

Its a time when the NHL gets a decent amount of national attention.

Its their job, they show up when the boss says to.

It’s not that they aren’t playing, it’s that they are blowing the whole thing off by not showing up.

just commenting to add yet another sabres avatar here.

the all star game is a big risk, imagine going down int he all star game, how bad you would hurt your teams season.

i have yet to see a player play 100% in any sport’s allstar game

If they can’t play cuz they are injured that is one thing. To not even show up is a slap in the face to everybody who voted for them. If they were voted an all-star, they should show up for the events regardless.

I’ve always thought it was stupid they had the all star game right in the middle of the season. Have it after your championship so teams can send players without penalizing themselves.

:bigclap: nothing but the truth there. In no way,shape or form does it benefit a team to send someone to the All-star game.

have you guys ever watched an all star game?

there is no backchecking. zero. none whatsoever. It’s pretty seldom to see a big hit, as well. All these all star defensemen don’t even try to stop a rush, it’s about scoring goals and showcasing talent not everyone working their ass off.

the only view I agree with is the GM of the canadians. Price is just coming off an ankle injury, and they didn’t want him to play the all star game. More-so than the all star game, they REALLY didn’t want him to play the skills competition. The reasoning for that is situations usually end in desperation saves, when goaltenders are more prone to injury.

but I do agree that it does not benefit a team to have players there, but it does bring attention to them when brings attention to the team which brings attention to the city.

When did football players start playing hockey?

because they get paid millions of dollars to play a game? And they cant show up to a single game? I say throw them out of the league if it is a breach of contract, treat it like a real job.

It shouldn’t be up to the fans in the first place.

Agreed, they are paid great amounts of money, fucking show up.

I agree. Esp. when you can vote as many times as you want. I was just stating that you were voted in and you should show to the events even if you don’t play. Looks bad for the NHL if you don’t.

this isnt baseball. Hockey players make 25k a game on average, really good players making like 50k - 100k a game.

The average MLB salary in 2008 was $3,145,845. That is just under 20k a game. The average 2008 NHL salary was $1,906,793. That is just under 24k a game.

Baseball season is twice as long. They play 162 games in about 200 days.

is the schedule for tonight online anywhere? I’m at work and it’s tough to find on here

I want to see you not show up to an offsite meeting about sugarplums, at a corporate retreat weekend that is being held by your employer.