POAL: who can drive a manual WELL?

???
I wouldn’t tow with anything but a manual. Most auto’s just aren’t built to handle towing for whatever reason, probably to save on costs. Both my tow rigs are good 'ol “granny” 4 speeds. Never had an issue with either of them. I haven’t wiped out a clutch yet either in over 200,000 miles of driving/towing. The only reason I had one of them apart was to replace a worn out pilot bearing. Just my .02 on the towing subject…
The only auto’s I ever owned were my circle track racecar and my POS beater Neon. I’d rather the Neon was a manual, but the price was right, so I picked it up.
My Willys is the real test of driving a manual well… 16 forward gears, 4 reverse. :slight_smile:

I’ve driven both auto and manual Ford trucks, Auto FTW.

I’d rather have a dog box or an all out sequential. Left foot should only be used for braking.

I like the auto for towing, but being a dodge I am playing with fire…

I can, and quite well, but I only have limited experience. Drove a 2000 F-350 turbo deisel 4sp. down to Penn and back, Use to drive a Probe GT Turbo for a few months, Drove RedConquestTSI’s Conquest a few times…that car roxors my soxors.

I need to work on hills,its the only part of stickshift driving I suck at.Im always adfraid of rolling back because some asshole gets too close and I dont want to fry the clutch by letting it out slightly to hold the car back.

Im pretty good at up/downshifting and rev matching.

not to be a dick… but i dont drive truck, i dont care

soo i dont get sick of it

although that is a valid point :tup:

I bust my ass 17+hrs a day at school. When i leave, i just want to get home. auto>manual for that purpose…

Ever tried putting a heavy boat back on a trailer and then pulling it out of the water? Having to hold the e-brake, give it gas and go every single time you pull a large boat out of the water would suck.

is this thread for real? everyone on NYSPEED is mario andretti

i do decent in the t/a but the audi is a pain in the ass. the t/a lets out near the floor while the audi is like every stock clutched audi i’ve ever driven…right at the top (though i’m sure it doesn’t help that it has 191,000 miles)

:word:

Yes, and it isn’t hard at all… I used to launch my jetski (over 800lbs with the trailer) with my old Sentra. :gotme: No, it isn’t exactly a “large” boat, but it is pretty heavy for a PWC being towed by a normal car.

…and yet I still don’t even consider myself somebody who drives standard well. Not nearly smooth enough, especially on downshifts.

here’s the footbox vid
Explore Garick Tischler

I just put this on my photobucket account, if anybody else has a direct link post it up.

I can drive around town and do quick upshifts just fine. I never downshift through the gears though like when stopping at a light. I have never tried heel toe or really any performance oriented downshifting. I’d like to learn at some point but i’d much rather have some sort of manual sequential where I just don’t have to worry about it.

Meh, that guy has skills, but it’s nothing special. You want skills, watch this video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2216488882026047768&q=Audi+S1

I’d like to say I drive stick decent …I’ve only been doing it for 1.5 years. I don’t think I’d go back to automatic unless i had too. I need a real man to teach me how to drive stick like a badass, skunk didn’t do that job properly :-P. Fortunetly i haven’t made the 5-2 money shift HAHAHHA (sorry i had to)

i can’t believe i’ve never seen that video. that was some of the fanciest footwork i’ve ever seen. holy christ.

Unless the pedal spacing has changed over the years, I can tell you from experience that it probably won’t work very well in your car… :wink:

Using both left-foot braking and heel-toe downshifting appropriately is something I want to learn to do. I’m starting to pick it up a bit playing rFactor, but it takes time.

i didn’t mean all fancy, i just mean not stalling and smooth.

Well, if that is your criteria, then I can do that. I have to really concentrate in order to be smooth with my clutching though.

I think i can drive a manual car very well in most cases. Most of the time im one of the better drivers in the group. But god damn i can not drive my girlfriends hyundi(how ever the fuck u spell it) for the life of me. I dont think it helps that it has had horrible tranny problems since day one but just something with the cable shifting trannys just doesnt work for me.