Pontiac G8 Article... Great Review, Good Info

Thought the article was great and the numbers aren’t bad either.
SAN DIEGO — The look is assertively Pontiac: drooping snout, oversize grille, red dashboard lighting, gimmicky hood scoops.
It’s a big ol’ roomy and comfortable American sedan. The power is stunning, at least with the optional V-8, and the package is a raging value by today’s inflated standards: $30,000 or so for the GT V-8

The $28,000 V-6 model, however, is adequate in muscle.

The 2008 Pontiac (GM) G8 sedan, now hitting dealers, returns Pontiac to its place as General Motors’ purveyor of rompin’, stompin’, slightly raw, powerful cars done the Yankee way.

Oh, boy, it’s been a long time coming — and good to see.

Irony detour: The very American G8 is built in Australia by Holden, a GM unit that is its anointed worldwide expert in rear-drive cars. G8’s chief head-to-head rival, the very American Dodge Charger, is built in Canada.

G8 hasn’t the sexy name or muscle-car legacy of Charger. But if you don’t insist on the megalist of options Charger offers (backseat TV, for goodness sake), G8’s more satisfying to drive. And though the 6-liter GM V-8 lacks the cachet of Dodge’s Hemi V-8, it out-charges Charger on a quarter-mile drag strip: 5.3 seconds vs. six, according to both makers.

A GT V-8 is the “most powerful car for less than $30,000,” brags Pontiac. As good as a BMW 5 Series for $20,000 less, is how GM product boss Robert Lutz has put it. Roomy, practical, satisfying, is how you might put it. Buy it as a family car, enjoy it as a hot rod.

Even the base V-6 model has sporty accoutrements: high-bolster bucket seats, manual-shift mode on the five-speed automatic transmission, firm suspension for winning arguments with corners. The overhead camshaft V-6, similar to the Cadillac CTS base engine, overcomes a rough personality to offer pleasant scoot.

The V-8’s six-speed automatic also has a manual-shift mode. With both, you push the lever away from you to enter manual mode, which seems less handy than pulling it toward you, and the dash indicator showing the gear you’re in is too small to read easily.

The gearboxes also have a sport mode that holds them in lower gears longer. Good for performance, bad for fuel economy. In the test cars, it made shifts quite jerky, not just firmer, and didn’t get used much.

G8 has a real three-across back seat. But as has become GM’s habit, there’s no safety head restraint in the middle. GM never seems able to explain that.

G8 front seats let the user crank back the lumbar support so it nearly disappears. Other GM models harass your spine with a hard push, even with the lumbar fully retracted. Cloth upholstery in the base V-6 test car felt at least as good as the GT’s optional leather.

Artfully executed: front-seat bolsters. You want 'em high to hold you in place in exuberant cornering. But automakers often narrow the seat cushion to make room to add bolsters, leaving your rump feeling pinched. Not on G8. Big bolsters and a wide cushion nail you in place without squeezing your keister.

Power-window switches are on the center console, not the door panel, which never seems natural. It saves GM money, though, because it requires no change of a steering wheel on the left or the right (as in Australia, where the car is sold as the Commodore).

Big trunk. Lots of nooks, cubbies and stow areas inside the car. Excellent family car for those looking for an alternative to the ubiquitous crossover SUV or minivan. Underneath, the G8 is the same Holden rear-drive chassis with independent suspension at all four corners that’ll be under the Chevrolet Camaro due a year from now, GM says. No plans for all-wheel drive, as you can get on the Dodge Charger.

The base V-6 rides on 18-inch all-season rubber. Most of the time, for most people, those will be better skins than the hoo-hah, 19-inch summer-tread tires on the optional fancier wheels for the GT. Those handle well, run pretty quietly and look cool, of course. But they ride harsher, don’t work in snow and can kick the steering a bit when the car hits a bump in midcorner. Nothing that threatens control, but unpleasant.

It seems far-fetched to aver that the G8 is the equal of BMW’s 5 Series. But it’s far enough down that road that you could argue yourself into one. Especially if you like interior space, of which the G8 has gobs. Not if you value snob appeal, of which the G8 offers little.

And accessory addicts should look to the Charger or beyond for an overwhelming array of gadget options.

Just two models and a manageable list of options is one way Pontiac keeps the sticker price in check. The idea is that most every configuration would be on every boatload from Australia, so a customer could “order” one and the dealer could get if off the boat, rather than sending an order to the factory and waiting.

Emblematic: Navigation isn’t available. It will be if enough people want it, Pontiac says, but initially it’s just one more complication. Nor can you get satellite radio till later in the year.

Assuming G8 escapes first-year bugs and other quality problems, Pontiac appears about to field a winner.

ABOUT THE 2008 PONTIAC G8

What is it? Full-size, rear-drive, four-door sedan new to Pontiac. Base model has V-6; GT has V-8. Made in Australia by GM’s Holden unit.

How soon? On sale now.

How much? V-6 starts at $27,595 with $685 shipping. GT starts at $29,995, tops shy of $33,000.

How many? 30,000 a year for North America is the plan, but “I think we’ll be north of that” because of the relatively low price, says Doug Houlihan, global chief engineer for GM rear-drive cars.

The competition? Charger, Maxima.

What’s the drivetrain? 3.6-liter V-6 rated 256 horsepower at 6,300 rpm, 248 pounds-feet of torque at 2,100 rpm, five-speed automatic, traction control. Standard on GT: 6-liter V-8 rated 361 hp at 5,300 rpm, 385 lbs.-ft. at 4,400 rpm, six-speed automatic, traction control.

What’s the safety hardware? Expected belts; an array of bags: front, side and head-curtain; anti-lock brakes; stability control.

What’s the rest? Standard: climate control; AM/FM/CD stereo with jack; power steering, brakes, windows, locks, mirrors; cruise control; trip computer; remote locks; remote start; OnStar telecom system with a year of free emergency service.

How big? 196.1 inches long, 74.8 inches wide, 57.7 inches tall on a 114.8-inch wheelbase. Passenger space: 107 cubic feet; trunk: 17.5 cubic feet. Weight: 3,885 lbs. (3,995 lbs. GT). Rated to tow 2,000 lbs., carry 1,500 lbs. Turning circle: 37.4 feet.

How speedy? Pontiac claims 0 to 60 mph in 7 seconds for the V-6, 5.3 seconds for the V-8.

How thirsty? V-6 rated 17 miles per gallon in town, 25 mpg highway, 20 combined. V-8 rated 15/24/18. V-6 test car’s trip computer showed 21.5 mpg in 114 miles, mainly on two-lane highways.

V-8 delivered 16 to 20.2 mpg in 30- to 60-mile legs mainly on two-lane highways.

Tank holds 19.2 gallons. Regular fuel OK, but Pontiac says “premium maximizes performance.”

Overall: Yum

Ah, the USAToday article…

yes, should have said that

damn quarter mile in 5.3 seconds :wink:

I’ll trust Car and Driver road tests a hell of a lot more than USA Today ones.

And according to them, GM really fucked up the programming of that auto trans. :tdown:

no one cares about american automotive journalism.

the manufacturers write the articles themselves.

We hired a former Chrysler marketing manager who was with our company for about 3 months. He explained to me the process of advising the journalists what they could and could not write. He also explained how at times journalists would write articles for cars they never actually saw in person.

This is coming from a 9 year Chrysler vet…

so American manufacturers are the only one’s who do that? No one else in the world does it except for the American manufacturers?

Hi, I’m Earth, have we met?

guys I posted this because of the numbers, not because 1 guy drove the car. I don’t usually trust any of the car magazines or writers because they consist of ONE persons opinion. I’ll drive it myself and decide what I think about the ride.

Just ignore him. Everything is a conspiracy.

Car and Driver has never had a problem tearing apart an American car.

Don’t believe me Bing, check out this glowing review an American mag gave the Saturn Ion:

Yeah, I’m sure GM paid them a ton for that glowing endorsement. :lol:

As for the G8, I really hope GM gets the bugs out of that transmission’s programming because it would be sad if GM ruined such a great car with something so easy to fix.

Was hoping for a bit better than a 13.8 1/4mile. And the MPG’s were a bit lower than I expected with the cylinder dropout. (I am sure the test car isnt babied either).

Jeller

Faster than the majority of those, especially when looking at price.

Fuck that automatic. Where is the 6 speed manual???

Thats what I was excited for. A big V8 RWD sedan with a manual tranny.

EDIT

The six-speed manual offered in Australia is reportedly being saved for a higher-output G8 coming later.

OK good

^ Coming soon. :slight_smile:

the Holden Commodore uses the LS7 in it…