Pop..POP.popopopopop

I’m really getting sick of this popping sound as i slow down. Last time i asked someone said its because i have an aftermarket exhaust. I’m not accepting this answer because i dont hear a lot of other exhausts doing this. On my Acura it never did this.

Its like the cat isnt fully burning the gasses and then it accumulates and bangs off. I have an axel back magnaflow muffler which came with the car and has been making this sound since i got the car; however, its starting to get worse with more popping.

The fact that its getting worse is what is making me not accept that its my muffler. any idea’s or suggestions? no i dont have the stock exhaust and no i cant find one to just slap on and try. 95 s14 5spd.

My exhaust pops… Magnaflow Exhaust, Hi-flow cat in an 02 Sentra.

not sure if it will solve your problem…but just get rid of the cat anyways…they’re for tree huggers.

Ill bet my next paycheck its the exhaust, you don’t like it trade someone for a stock exhaust. You should have no problem finding someone to do that.

your crazy i love the popping. mine sets of car alarms lol :smiley:

If you want to cut down on the popping, add another resonator to your exhaust system. That should quiet things down considerably.

My exhaust was cut off at the DP (s14 ka) and instead of the cat there was a resonator . . .sounded pretty good imo . . .but still had the occasional pOp

I’ll post a clip up once i get home . . .

lol your lucky all you have is little pops…when i come down to a stop in neutral my car backfires SO loud it almost sounds like a gunshot if im driving downtown :!:

What car is this in? It could be an exhaust leak too. How loud are the pops and do the only occur when you lift off the throttle?

^^ everyday before today its popped, its an s14 btw, Now its starting to pop when in between an upshift. i’ve noticed it pops more with 91 octane over 89oc. I havent noticed any leak yet.

wont adding another resonator add more back pressure?

Yeah, not tons, but it will slow flow a bit.

I dont know how relative this is. But when I use my o2 sensor my car pops like crazy durring down shifts. And its a 3" turbo back exhaust with no cat. Apparently poping is pretty common with no cat.
With out the o2 sensor. I get nothing. I dunno, I’m drunk and just throwing bs out there.

i had the same thing happen to my S13 when i had it, except i made mine like that on purpose.
backfiring or poping is really common without a cat and especially a bottle (resonator).
mine was a straight pipe with a straight through muffler, it poped ever 2 seconds.
its an aquired taste i guess.

maybe a possibility but my last engine that blew up would backfire idoling and when i drove it , i could get small blue flame out the back.
the reason being i belive, i bent a valve.
could be a possibility??

My stock exhaust and aftermarket would both pop/backfire around the 1500 rpm. You just don’t hear it that much on a stock exhuast. KA’s just do that I don’t know if other Nissan engines will do it too like the SR, CA or RB.

Nissan’s run rich as is OEM, with no cat it will always detonate left over fuel. Try cleaning,replacing cat and getting new O2 sensor it will mild out backfires. Or get rid of the cat and get a fuel controller.

try 5 feet long flames by 2-3 feet tall that shoot so loud that ppl beside u crap pants. get some real fuel system ehhehe

it wont be pop, itll be BANG BANG :partyman:

I get ZERO popping with 3" turbo back, resonator and muffler.

I do get occasional pops between shifts…