Porch Pirates / Package Thiefs

Adrenaline assures this will never happen IRL.

1 Like

Wouldn’t homeboy just reach inside and take shit? You need something with a baffle. Look for a UPS drop box and see what they do

That box lock thing looks like a cool idea but my guess is 90% of the time they’re going to set your package on top of the box because they don’t know what it is or don’t want to be bothered to take the time to unlock it.

1 Like

The idea is that the driver uses the lock to scan the package and re-lock the box. Online reviews say it works great… when the driver actually uses it. I’m sure I can get my UPS and FedEx guys to use it since they’re always cool about hiding stuff. The USPS guy or those Amazon 4th stringers… :man_facepalming:

this is extremely irresponsible advice. pulling a gun and not shooting is not “using physical, non-deadly” force. if you have a ccw you should have a really deep understanding that it only becomes unconcealed when youre going to shoot it, and that means you can not flee, and are in real jeopardy of losing your own life. You can not shoot someone over property - and you do not point a gun at someone you’re not ready to shoot - so there is no real deciphering between those two things to the law.

2 Likes

Not to dive too deep, but you’re referring to physical force. Drawing a firearm is considered intent to use deadly force. Article 35 refers to the justification of deadly use of force as the immediate, reasonable use of force to prevent felonious acts of violence on yourself or others.

Drawing a firearm on a unarmed person who poses no threat to you, outside of your home, does not fall under “reasonable” force and can be viewed as an escalation of incident.

Key word here is intent. When you brandish a weapon in the presence of another person, you are subjected to whether or not your intent is to use deadly force on that individual.

1 Like

I said the same thing - although josh running in sandals after a bum is hilarious -if that bum had a weapon of some sort and josh got hurt over a strangers pair of socks …not bueno

Well, we’ll see about this…

“Overall in 2020, there’s been an over 50% increase in retail packages and residential package theft being reported compared to 2019,”

Flynn said his office will prosecute those caught stealing packages. Charges include grand larceny, petit larceny, and criminal possesion of stolen property.

So I spoke with the district attorney’s office today and they say what the police told me is nonsense. They WANT to prosecute these people. I just need a detective to find the guy and file charges. And at least in the case of the first guy the cops told me they know him… :thinking:

1 Like

Just sucks because most of these charges the people will get are just summons. We were dealing with a guy in Kenmore that was stealing peoples stuff, getting caught, given a summons and back doing the same thing that night. As long as no physical altercation he would just get a summons, so he knew when the police would get him to go nicely and not put up a fight or he’d get bigger charges that would actually put him in jail. Such bullshit.

You’d be surprised how easily it is for someone to trip and fall while handing over a package to the legal owner…

1 Like

“Trip and fall”

2 Likes

Just had a talk with my UPS driver. He said the thefts are so bad everywhere right now, and they’re all being followed by vans / people looking to steal packages.

Also said he was part of a sting recently where a guy was sitting in a van, and this guy had his kids running up and down the street taking packages, then running back to the van.

:flushed:

The satisfaction of busting that sting must have been orgasmic

1 Like

Yeah I mean if you follow the person who takes your package a few blocks and just beat the living hell out of them, take all the stolen packages and leave… that would be a solid. Just make sure your mask is on and you wear gloves(weighted) done deal.

2 Likes

Thefts are way down this year. Not sure which driver you talked to. So many people have video monitoring that thieves aren’t so eager anymore. Not to mention millions more are stuck working from home.

I see posts on Nextdoor weekly about packages being taken as well as people having their cars gone through. (Usually the person messed up and left the car unlocked) Kenmore area.

Yeah these Nextdoor users are brutal. This popped up for me today:

Porch pirate. I decided to use one of my old boxes📦 I got in the mail and left rottting food in it , can’t wait for it to be stolen , fucking assholes , ima have fun with this one To many of my packages have been stolen so it’s deserved

Probably should do the same and see if I get anyone on camera. lol People are so shitty.
Someone was talking about how they found opened packages from streets a few over from theirs, then goes on about having their own packages stolen shortly after. So someone was walking around the streets, grabbing boxes, opening them along the way and pocketing what they could and moving to the next house. Wonder if they had someone working with them as a team, put the items they get from the packages in a following car and move on to the next.

I’m buying a new garage door opener today with the MyQ app/feature, although I have a side mud room and Ring doorbell, I thought it’d be cool to just have packages put in the garage so no one could see them.