power adapters?

i think i have a bad power adapter, my charge icon switches from AC power to battery powered when i wiggle my charge cord. could this be a port or is it more likely to be the adapter? i have a ZV6000 HP laptop btw, maybe its a common problem?

anyway wheres the best place to get one without ordering one online? is this something best buy or office depot would carry?

The AC jack on the back went bad and the solder points to the motherboard are now bad.

When it goes on and off its because its shorting out when the connection between the metal and board is separated so I would get it fixed soon.

If you know electronics and soldering, you can find a replacement jack and unsolder the old one and solder in the new one.

my dell did it it was the power adapters i bought a cheap one off eBay and it works perfect

very true however since you said when you move the plug in your laptop, it seems to be a loose connection.

best thing to try is to find a similar power block and see if it has the same effect before you start to buy something

A short is when a circuit is crossed, not broken.

^^^True. Even though I know the thats the technical definition, whenever I see electronics sparking I still think “it’s got a short”. :gotme:

someone else had mentioned that to me, but the cord seems kinda rough near where it plugs into the laptop, i think ill buy a new cord and if that doesnt fix it just return it

thanks for the input

Very common in HP laptops,I’ve owned 3 that have done it.

It has never been the AC adapter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-ZD8000-ZV6000-Compaq-R4000-X6000-DC-Jack-37_W0QQitemZ170198371873QQihZ007QQcategoryZ31531QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$13 fix.All you really need is :

Soldering Iron
Solder
Screwdriver

if you would move mine it would then start working.

My guess is it’s the jack. Slight chance it’s the cord, but being it’s an HP and it’s a VERY common problem on them I doubt you’ll get lucky and have it be the cord.