My power supply input is sketchy. replaceable?

I have an hp dv1000 laptop. power supply input sucks, I have to wiggle it around to get it to work. Is it replaceable?

if it’s getting broken inside of the laptop you’ll have to take it apart and find someone who can de-solder and solder correctly. Radio shack service center on the Blvd sells the input jacks.

If it is the AC adapter just getting loose you can just buy a new one.

Either way, both options aren’t really cheap. The parts for the laptop input jack cost less than $15, but with labor and soldering you could completely destroy the laptop if it’s not done correctly (common sense)

That info help?

Dre, same thing happened on my gf’s compaq. I went to a computer repair place on sheridan and they fixed it for $100. But it lasted a few months before the problem came back. But what Clean Baldy said is correct, it’s got to be re-soldered properly, which can be expensive.

Sounds like the repair place needs to teach their people how to solder correctly.

It’s pretty common on laptops for the power plug to go bad. All that stress of the cord being plugged in with the laptop moving around. As stated, the part is cheap but you need someone who knows what they’re doing (both to tear it apart and to solder and secure it correctly) to fix it right and they don’t work cheap.

someone look for the thread about the 2 laptops for sale. someone posted he works at bestbuy and would fix the problem for $50,

I’ve had great success with this guy

http://www.aqstech.com/

I’ve had at least 20 laptops repaired by a guy I know, but it isn’t a company available to the public unfortunately. He told me that it wasn’t that people don’t know how to solder, it was that laptops need a different type of solder besides the normal one people buy at Lowes and Radio Shack. I wish I listened more, but I think it had to do with the ratio of the flux in it.

my dv6000 has the same problem, i thought it was the input thingy, but my actually power cord broke, so i ended up buying one off ebay for 10bucks

well it lasted about 2weeks before it started wiggling around again, and broke.

i bought an HP one from bestbuy and got totally raped for 86$, but it doesn’t even wiggle now, at all.

That is interesting. I’ve done some circuit level soldering and I’ve always used .75 mm rosin core and just a standard flux in a can from Radio Shack. The big thing is making sure to clean the area well even if they claim the flux is non-conductive.

If/when this happens to my laptop I plan on trying it myself. Once it’s all soldered up and working I plan on building up around the plug with some epoxy to help strengthen it so all the flex isn’t being applied to the solder joint.