The Corvette Z51 Sport/Handling package includes a power steering cooler. Is this really necessary? How hot does the P.S. fluid get during a 1 or 2 minute autocross run? The other stuff in the package makes sense, HD shocks, springs, swaybars, brakes, etc…What other cars have a PS cooler? Just wondering if this is a gimmick or not.
most cars have a Power steering cooler. It is just a bit of extra line, that zigzags once or twice down the xmember. sometimes it hangs just below the xmember…
its definantly a nice thing to have. for all the work your steering system is doing during a 2 minute run, im sure the system gets pretty damn warm
Ya, But this is more than extra line. It looks like a small radiator or a tranny cooler. Guess more fluid in the system means less heat/failure?
I’ve got a power steering cooler!
more fluid in the system and better heat extraction compared to just a simple tube …
works great for sucking all the heat out of the PS fluid
Wow, I’m surprized a Mitsu Galant would have one! ![]()
keep in mind extended road race setups. the Z51 is an all around track car when your bulding a higer performance higher dollar car that’s entire theme is a superhandling package you would throw it in for good measure. it’s cheap insurance.
Oh hell no! You wan’t a piece of the Galant, you got it! Let me know where and when. The Galant is undefeated!
NAW, With 0-60 times around 9.5 (stock) for your Gal., I guess my 'Vette would be no match for you. Scared a you, sorry:ohnoes: …Now yer TA, maybe we can talk…![]()
Not exactly sure how helpful they are but my '93 SHO came with one from the factory. It’s about the size of 2 packages of cigarettes…I thought it was pretty funny when I first saw it.
:word:, one here as well. an autocross section is pretty steering-intensive. well duh, you say. it’s an entire racetrack in a parking lot.
I have on here; added it to help with the PS moving 275’s up front. It’s just a 2-pass tranny cooler with most of the baffles removed and installed in the return line.
Lots of cars have problems with power steering fluid boiling and spewing out of the reservoir during auto-x. The cooler is a good thing to have.
Yeah, the T/A would be a much better match than the Shitsu would. All in all I think having a power steering cooler is a great idea, especially if you plan to autocross.