Power Supply Tester

My computer shit the bed, I believe it’s the PSU but I’d like to be absolutely sure before I go and buy a new one. If anyone has a power supply tester that I could borrow I’d really appreciate it.

-Chris

Disconnect from everything…Plug it in…connect the molex to a hard drive…if it spins up, it works, if not…it doesn’t. I also might have a PSU handy. I can’t remember if I still have my 400w I believe PSU, used for a total of about 15 minutes.

The PSU I have it in now is a LSP ULTRA 750W ATX PSU, is it overkill? Can I replace it with a 500W?

When I boot up the PC, all my fans run, but no light on the motherboard. My computer ran for about 20 seconds and then went blank, but still stayed on. Now it won’t even boot.

Hooked the molex up to the HD, nothing. So it’s safe to assume the PSU is bad?

More than likely. Any indicator lights on the mobo light up when connected? Any lights on the PSU itself? What’s the wattage?

No lights on the MOBO, no lights on the PSU itself. Idk the wattage, that’s why I wanted the tester lol.

yes,you can replace with a a quality 500w unit because that 750 watt probably doesn’t put out even close to that. The only time you need crazy wattage is if you’re running a power hungry graphics card or multiple graphics cards.For most people a well built 400w supply will suffice.

New PSU in, now my questions turn to this…where the hell do I find out what cables go where?

HDDs, Optical Drives, 20/24 pin motherboard, 4-6 pin ATX power…thats about it.

I’ll post a video here once it’s done encoding, I’m not sure why it’s not booting.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

[video]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/Motocrossx23/d4e55766.mp4[/video]

shit. way too many acronyms here. I think I have the same issue. I tried plugging two 21" lcd monitors into the video card and now nothing displays. fans work and it sounds like it turns on. swapped the video card and still nothing just with one monitor as before.

psu? power supply unit? and molex is the standard 3 or 4 wire connector, no?

**willing to buy older/cheap but decent mother board/video card. I just need to be able to run proE/solid works at full go with no lag.

Video card doesn’t take a 6 pin connector? Looks like the system boots fine now…just not getting a display at all? No BIOS screen?

Found the issue, the PSU was fine…lol. I had a bad stick of DDR2 RAM, randomly took it out to check the connectors, pressed the power, booted right up. Took the other stick, did the same thing, no boot. Put the old power unit in, put back the “good” RAM, booted up again.

Saved myself $80 since I can take back this PSU now. I’m gonna pick up some DDR2 RAM when I take it back tomorrow :tup:

LMK what you need before you go buy it…I have parts all over from motherboards to PSUs

If you have any spare sticks of DDR2 2GB RAM I’ll take one lol

I’m sure I’ve got DDR2 sticks all over…what specifically are you looking for.

@travisn
I have a fairly newer board that’s socket 775 DDR2/DDR3 split. It’s a gigabyte. I don’t know if it actually works, I think some of the CPU pins might be bent. Motherfuckers said it supported my quad core…they lied. I would like $50 for it but I can’t guarantee it works…so if you want it…just take it.