PC Help - Round Two

Last week the computer went kaput. It would turn on, but no one was home. I got a PS tester and my PS came up faulty. I went out and bought another power supply of the same wattage to replace my current one. Plugged everything back in and start it up and I get a voice over the speakers saying “System Fail CPU Test”.

Any ideas? I’m guessing either bad mobo or bad CPU, any way to determine which it is? I don’t have another computer w/ the same processor type to try swapping, nor do I know anyone that does.

Nothing “appears” bad on the mobo. I’ve tried clearing the CMOS and have re-seated the processor. I’ve tried multiple gfx cards, and swapped RAM.

Help!

(copied from another post)

is it overclocked?
reset bios to default and try that

You realize a lot of times the PSU goes bad…takes out MOBO and CPU with it…

yeah im guessing that ur PS fried the rest of ur computer

Yeah sounds like the rest went with the powersupply. There is no easy way to test the processor besides a 2nd motherboard.

I would probably order a new mobo and proc, install the mobo with the potentially bad cpu and see if it works. If it does, great send the cpu back. Then do vice versa with the good cpu and the bad board.

That way you eliminate replacing both if only one is bad to save a little bit of money.

Ok, so next question.

My current setup has two drives in a RAID array (mirroring), controlled by the mobo. If I get a new mobo/proc, I’d assume that array will go kerplow?

I could probably recgonise the drive hooked up as a normal drive though right? And pull the data off? Then redo the array?

Drives will probably be fine in all likelihood. The mobo, memory, and CPU seem to be the most likely to be damaged due to lower tolerances for voltage deviation.