Problems when turning on AC

I am posting this about my girlfriends 1999 2200 chevy cavalier. When she is turning her ac on the engine is bogging out so much it almost wants to stall. I am thinking it either might be the serp belt or the ac compresser. like i said before it is a 99 never had the serp belt replace as far as i know it is a little lose. Jus woundering off by hand if it is the ac compresser
/ clutch how big of a job is that on these cars ?

how old is the battery? i have had a car with a bad battery before, and the alternator couldnt handle the extra load from the ac/lights and it would run like shit… other than that take the belt off and spin the compressor and see if it spins freely… while you’re at it you might as well replace the belt

might be the idle air controller but Im just throwin that out there

if not the battery it might be the altinator. 1st i doubt its a belt. could be a compressor seizing up but you would smell burning rubber from the belt i would go with something in the charging system either battery or altinator (it draws more power because of the blower motor and also it will turn your fans on also to get air to pass thru the condensor) just tossin that out there. llike someon else did

I looked at it today. Not smelling no rubber or when i turn the ac on going to take it up to advanced tommrow to have them test the battery and the altinator

if its not the alternator or battery see if someone has an OBD scantool that can control the IAC. that might be the problem.

This happened to my brother in law’s car. It was the AC compressor. The compressor was frozen, so it would stall when the AC clutch packs kicked in.

Well my we got a new ac compressor put on at the local garage. Here it ended up costing about 480 for the ac compressor and clutch and a serp belt. Here next day we found out the compressor they put on was used and has a defect in it so going back to the garage in the morning to try again.