Production-based GTI racing to begin in 2008

Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced that it will operate a production- based GTI Cup spec racing series beginning in 2008, offering aspiring young racers an affordable entry into professional motorsports. The new series will be sanctioned by Sports Car Club of America.

Source: Speed Arena

Why would anyone want to race one of those heavy FWD pigs over an MX5 cup car that could be built for less money (both in terms of initial costs and maintenance)?

Because you own a VW or Audi dealership and/or VW tuner, tire stretching shop, and you need to burn some extra cash.

yes exactly ,

im not too impressed with these cars anyways, look wise or performance, id rather boost my ls vtec teg and be faster and look better than one of those 20 something thousand dollar cars.

I take it some of you don’t like V-Dubs? :wink:

Representing Deutchland, yaaaaaa…

Is this like an automotive “special olympics” event?

X…

christ, you realize that POS teg isn’t nearly as sweet as you think it is…

both your pineapple looking hair and your lotus that u love to constantly brag about and show off in arent as sweet as you think they are either. Did i ever say my car is soo sick and better than a gti? naw didnt think so i just stated my opinion that id rather save thousands of dollars and just boost my teg and be faster and that i like the way tegs look better than the new ugly gti’s. Which is my opinion, and no one asked for your thoughts about me or my car .But thanks for your assumption cool hair btw.

This is like, the worst burn attempt ever.

That really sucked.

alright then do you have something better?Im not gonna start a lets make fun of newman thread.I just stated two obvious things in my eyes.It wasnt really an intentional burn it was more like he has a big mouth and likes to talk shit and likes to leave stupid posts on everyones threads includng mine so i just shot something back that was pretty pointless as well ,but since he always shows the kindness i showed some back :slight_smile:

lol.

Save the :gay3: for offtopic people.

Ive driven a lot of cars in my days. Very few of them have ever been more fun to drive than the MKV GTi. This car handles great and offers good power to back it up. What VW said was true, and I believe is their goal, which was that this is a great opportunity for entry level/ good drivers with small budgets to get a foot in the door of racing. The only bad thing is they said the cup car is fitted with a DSG transmission. Nonetheless I think it would be a lot of fun banging around a road course with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. I don’t think i could think of a better car to have new racers drive on a road course. I wish American as well as other car Manufactures could learn from VW. What a great Idea.

One of the funniest things I’ve herd all week. GTi from any body style is hotter than any Integra. GTi>teg. tegs = teh suck. LOL “Which is my opinion.”

I can name two, right off the top of my head that will run circles around the GTI, for similar and less money, and guess what? One of them IS American. The MX5 in MX5 Cup form, and the Solstice in SSB form.

The MX5 Cup has alot of factory and sponsor support going for it, not to mention the exposure it has gotten in the press. Though in stock form, the car has a flawed suspension with springs that are too soft, this is fixed in the cup car.

As for the Solstice, well, bolt in your roll cage, put on your hard top and go racing in Showroom Stock B. Guess what, it won the national championship this year at the runoffs, and probably would have taken 2nd as well, were it not for a tire puncture.

Both of these cars could be obtained for less than what it will cost to race an overweight, wrong wheel drive VW, and will beat its lap times, to boot.

Of course, somebody who is thinking of trying racing for the first time (who is not independently wealthy) should probably not be considering doing it with a brand-new car, but that’s a whole different topic…

Thats your opinion noob, and you are entitled to it.Personally ive never have been a fan of gti’s , they are over rated.Now an r32 is another story.For the amount of money you would spend on buying one of these ugly things brand new you could have something else that would be alot better looks and performance wise, and hopefully awd or rwd.

No one cares if you think you could make an INTEGRA faster than a GTI :bloated:

This thread was about production based racing not lets all rate the new GTI

Back on topic it doesn’t seem like manufacturers do this very often so that’s pretty cool in my book. Although I do see Neuro’s point with the Miatas.

Yeah, manufacturers don’t directly support cup racing as much as they use to. Off the top of my head, the only production car “cup” racing series in the USA (new cars) are:

• Miata MX-5 Cup
  • Mini Cooper Cup
  • GTI Cup
  • Viper Cup (Competition Coupe)
  • Porsche GT3 Cup

Whats with the overflow of bs in the seldom used motor sports forums of late? I’d never run this cup but atleast vw is trying to get involved with motorsports in the US.