Project R34: Part TA

Yes, I know I already have a build/project thread… But it has now taken a new direction.

JVG and I were talking yesterday about our Nissans, and plans with what to do with them. He mentioned competing in Redline’s Time Attack series. At first I was thinking “yea, right… I suck at driving…”
Then I thought positive. Why couldn’t I compete in one of the classes?
So I went to Redline’s website (www.redlinetimeattack.com I believe) and read the rules for the street class. To me, it sounded pretty lenient. Fully built motor and head: OK. Upgraded turbo: OK. Suspension mods galore. The only real limit I saw was the maximum tire width for an AWD car: 255. The car currently has 275mm wide steamrollers on all four corners, so I will be sacrificing some grip, all while putting down more power. I don’t need a roll cage (it is a street car, after all) but I will be using a harness bar w/ Schroth harnesses w/ their anti-submarine 4-points. I will also have a fire extinguisher inside the cabin as well.

As for the motor, there’s still a ton of plans. I just purchased a brand new Full Race turbo manifold w/ a top-mount twin-scroll T4 flange on it, and it’s already coated. The turbo decision is still up in the air.
For fueling, I have a couple of options. The street class limits cars to unleaded fuel only, but I can use methanol injection. Ethanol fueled vehicles are also legal in all classes. Since E85, or E98 offer an overall higher octane rating than the 93 + meth, I may go that route, but I will not have the cooling properties of the meth. So that option is still in the air. Upon inspection of the car, there were many faults with it. First off, the clutch was different from what the previous owner stated. Instead of a Cusco twin plate, it was an Exedy triple. Instead of GReddy 264/272 cams, they’re actually Grex (same as GReddy) 256 cams, which explains the insignificant power gains. So here’s the new planned mod list:

Engine:
Tomei rods
CP pistons, with coated skirts and domes
Ported head
1mm oversize valves possibly
Tomei 270* intake and exhaust Procams
Tomei cam pulleys
Full-Race T4 Manifold (Purchased)
Turbo, undecided
TiAL 44mm wastegates x2
Custom FMIC
Custom intake manifold
1000cc injectors if using E85 or E98
Other miscellaneous things

Drivetrain:
Nismo twin plate coppermix clutch (Purchased)
Nismo slave cylinder (Purchased)
Nismo clutch line (Purchased)
Cryo-treated input shaft (Purchased)

Suspension:
GReddy Type-S coilovers, but may sell and go with a more track oriented setup
Sway bars
Top Secret front strut bar (Purchased)
Some other miscellaneous bars/bits

Wheels, Tires, and Brakes:
Totally unsure so far. Updates will come soon.

I plan on updated this post every week or so over winter, and a few times before then once the car is back complete and driving.

Thanks for looking

Sponsors:
JVG Motorsports
Cossey’s First Local Bank Account
Hopefully more to come.

Nice man!

So are you doing a single, or staying with twins??

Time Attack R34 > All Ideas Ever

If you build it, I will cum

:slight_smile:

Single T4 frame turbo.

You are awesome

I approve of that statement! :thumbup

Badass!

Ditch greddy coils for HKS Hypermax or Zeal’s

Sounds awesome man. :excited
If I had that car and were going to do TA events, I would build it with twin gt2530’s for response. :number1
I’m sure you have your reason’s for doing a big single though. :thumbup

Cost. A single turbo like the ones I have picked out would have perfect response for the rpm range I’ll be in the entire time on track. A 2.6-2.7L spooling a twin scroll 35R or 40R would be perfectly fine. I’ve been doing research, trust me. Another thing is due to the decreased traction I have, I’d rather have a little lag so the car can get up to speed before blowing any sort of rubber off. The twin setup would just light them up.

Glad to see this ain’t no garage/trailer queen :slight_smile:

PS I still have to send you that pic of the RuF, I haven’t forgotten. :lol:

i love the Zeals. my friend Brent had them in his evo MR and his old civic hatch. they were great, and our friend Dan has them in his FD, i highly recommend them

I was thinking more along the lines of Ohlins. I’m gonna spring for the better stuff available (Ohlins, Zeal, JRZ, Moton) as opposed to the Bilsteins I got for the 911.
I’m looking at a set of Ohlins right now w/ piggy-back reservoirs which will be helpful for better cooling of the damper.
I don’t know if it’ll be entirely useful because of how short the sessions on track are, but we’ll see… I have to look into it more.

love the car man

JRZ’s are awesome. Tarik had them on this Mcoupe he bought a few years ago. sold them for some big $$

awsome buddie

awesome!

If I ever unload the BMW I’ll see you at the events.

Nice cossey

Deff not a car meant to be sitting around and driven like a grandma…

good to see you will be doing some competeing with it which it was made for :excited

glad your gonna drive this thing, and not just look at it.

JRZ doesn’t offer a setup for this car. =(