Mike's time attack build. No really. Real drivers get in here input wanted.

I have decided next summer to enter into the redline time attack. www.redlinetimeattack.com

From the rules I have a few changes to my car in order to enter into the “FWD Street” class. I could do the FWD modified class with no modifications and be competitive with slicks… but since I only have autocrosses under my belt I want to start off slow.

Changes to be made:
add a catalytic converter
Step down to less sticky tires; 125 wear rating or less so Azenis or hankook rs2’s

Rules for Street Class Cars:

o Professional drivers are not eligible to drive in the Street Class. Professional Driver is defined by Redline Time Attack as someone who currently earns, or who has within the past 5 years earned, a significant amount of their income by driving and/or racing vehicles in a “Pro” level automotive racing series. This includes, but is not limited to: Drag Racing, Road Racing, Oval Racing and Drifting.
 o Street Class vehicles must be registered for use on public roadways. Vehicles entered into Street Class must show proof of current registration to Redline Time Attack event Tech Inspection personnel. If proof of current registration cannot be provided, the vehicle in question will be forced to compete in the Modified Class. A copy of the DMV registration paperwork, the same proof of registration required by law to be in the vehicle at all times, will suffice as evidence the vehicle is currently registered.
 o Replacement of OEM glass with lightweight material (plexiglass, Lexan, etc) and removal of OEM glass is strictly prohibited. This applies to ALL Street Class vehicles. No exceptions to this rule will be made.
 o Every Street Class vehicle must have a functional Catalytic Converter installed as part of the engine exhaust system. Replacement of the OEM Catalytic converter with an “aftermarket” converter is permitted. Catalytic converter does not need to be in OE location. Random inspections will be performed during tech inspection. The top three finishers in each Street Class will also be subject to an inspection of the catalytic converter. An infrared pyrometer will be used to test the external temperature of the catalytic converter(s) to verify they are indeed functional and functioning. Installing a “cut-out” or “bypass” in the exhaust system ahead of the catalytic converter, so as to divert the exhaust gasses away from the cat, are not permitted. Waste-gates dumping to atmosphere are permitted.
 o One “major” engine upgrade permitted in Street Class.
  • An engine swap is considered one major engine upgrade. However, owners are permitted to swap an engine into their USDM vehicle if the engine was offered in the same chassis/model elsewhere in the world (JDM for example) for that chassis/model, and the engine swap will NOT count as a major engine upgrade.
  • Installing forced induction is considered one major engine upgrade.
  • Installing an OE turbocharged engine, that was available in a different market (JDM for example), into a USDM model of the same vehicle that did not come with a factory turbocharged engine, is permitted. This will only count as one major engine upgrade.
  • Engines are permitted to be “built”. (Forged rods, pistons, crank, etc). Built engines are not considered a major engine upgrade per these rules. Upgraded turbo chargers, on a vehicle that came with a factory turbo, is NOT considered a “Major” engine upgrade per these rules.
 o All Street Class vehicles must use DOT street tires with a UTQG tread wear rating of 140 or higher, Tires with UTQG tread wear rating under 140 are not permitted in Street Class.
 o Street Class Front Wheel Drive vehicles are limited to tires with a maximum width of 255
 o Street Class All Wheel Drive vehicles are limited to tires with a maximum width of 255
 o Street Class Rear Wheel Drive vehicles are limited to tires with a maximum width of 285
 o “Full carbon fiber bodied” vehicles prohibited from Street Class
 o Carbon Fiber and other light weight material may be implemented in place of OEM hoods, trunks, hatches, bumpers and front fenders.
 o OEM Doors and roofs must be kept in place. If a particular version of a vehicle comes with a composite or lightweight roof, that same roof may be installed on a different version of that vehicle that did not come with that roof from the factory.
 o Front under tray cannot go rearward past the center-line of the front axle
 o Rear under tray cannot go forward past the center-line of the rear axle
 o Sequential Gear Boxes Not Permitted in Street Class.
 o Fender Flares are permitted
 o Wide Body Kits are permitted
 o Modification of suspension and drive train components that in effect, widen the vehicles track width are prohibited. Slotting of OEM control arms to allow for adjustment of camber/caster is allowed. Installing suspension top mount plates, slotted for adjustment of camber/caster is allowed. Installing aftermarket control arms is permitted; so long as the control arms are roughly the same dimensions as stock (Main suspension mounting point on control arm must be within 0.25” of OE location.) Use of wheel spacers and/or off-set wheels is allowed.
 o 4-Way Adjustable Dampers Prohibited (4-Way meaning adjustability of BOTH Low and High speed settings for BOTH Compression and Rebound). Adjustment of Height is not considered one of the 4-Ways of adjustability.
 o 3-Way Adjustable Dampers Prohibited (3-Way meaning adjustability of Low and High speed settings for either Compression or Rebound and only low speed settings for the other. Adjustment of height is not considered one of the 3-Ways of adjustability
 o Single Adjustable and Two-Way Adjustable Dampers are ALLOWED. (2-way      meaning the adjustability of both Compression and Rebound)
 o Convertibles with hard tops can utilize Carbon Fiber/Aluminum/Fiberglass hard tops
 o Convertibles are only permitted to remove the OEM convertible equipment (canopy, motors, and associated hardware) if an “aftermarket” roll hoop or roll bar is installed OR if a hard top is installed in place of the soft-top. Factory roll over protection equipment may only be removed if an aftermarket roll hoop or roll bar is installed.      
 o Replacement of drivers and passenger seat with aftermarket seats is permitted.
 o Passenger seat cannot be entirely removed.
 o Interior components behind driver seat may be entirely removed
 o Vehicle’s carpet may be entirely removed.
 o Vehicle headliner may be removed.
 o OEM Dash, OEM Center console and OEM front door panels must remain. All components associated with and connected to the Dash, Center Console and Door Panels must also remain. These include items such as, but not limited to: Center arm rest, glove box, venting, ducts, OEM gauge cluster, left/center/right kick panels, etc. Removal of the components behind the dash is not permitted. If the vehicle has these components removed, the vehicle must run with a properly secured 50lb ballast weight penalty, verified by Redline Track Events, and placed in a location of Redline’s choosing. The heater core and assembly may be removed.
 o Roll cages are permitted in Street class. If the roll cage necessitates door bars that require cutting of OEM door panel, then OEM door panel may be altered only for installation of roll cage. A safety inspection of the roll cage will be performed. If the roll cage is deemed to be unsafe by the Chief of Inspections, the vehicle will not be permitted to participate in the event. OEM front door glass must remain in place under all circumstances. The front door panels and front door glass may be removed to allow for the installation of a roll cage and door bars. However, removal of the door panels and glass will require the vehicle to run with 25lbs of penalty ballast weight for each door that has had the door panel and glass removed.
 o Roll cages are not permitted to puncture the firewall or protrude into the engine bay in Street Class vehicles. Waiver: Vehicles that competed in a sanctioned Redline Time Attack event that had this modification performed at the time they competed in 2007.
 o Factory restraints are permitted for any vehicle in street class. If an aftermarket harness is installed in the vehicle, the harness must also include a submarine belt.      Exception: The Schroth brand of 4-point harnesses with ASM Technology is permitted to be used without an anti-submarine belt. The aftermarket harness must pass the Redline Time Attack safety inspection.
 o Snell 2000 or higher rated helmet required.
 o Long pants and long sleeve shirts are required. It is HIGHLY recommended drivers utilize fire-resistant long underwear and long under-shirts under their long pants and long shirt.
 o A tow hook or tow strap must be installed on the front of the vehicle prior to being allowed on track. The tow hook/strap must be properly marked so it is easy to locate by the safety personnel.
 o Convertibles are allowed on track with roll bars. Some cars with factory roll protection are allowed on track without the need for an aftermarket/custom roll bar if they are equipped with a factory OEM roll protection system. Check with Redline Time Attack to verify your convertible vehicle is equipped with an adequate factory installed roll protection system.
    + See "Vehicle Classification List" For List of Vehicles Relegated to Modified Class or Unlimited Class. Some vehicles will NOT be permitted in the Street Class due to specific horse power or other specifications. For example, a Ferrari Enzo or Porsche Carrera GT will be relegated to the Unlimited class due to there "super car" specification.

the competition:

this is GTmotoring’s RSX-s with the K20z1 and really unknown mods. The thing is quick but from what I figure I should be able to have 200hp on it next summer with less weight.

Sp on to the potential plans which I am looking for input on…

turbo:
I am considering stepping up from the GT28RS to the GT2871R, it allows me to make approx 100 more hp (from 300 to 400) but with less spool. Regaurdless of if I switch or not, I am planning a back door intercooler which would nearly eliminate my drivers side charge piping and make the passenger side shorter hopefully reducing lag. In addition to that, I am switching to the Tial SS housing which will allow for slightly smoother flow and again hopefully quicker spool.

Wheels:
I have a few options here. I love my 15" RPF1s, weighing in at 9.5 pounds they are the lightest wheels around. however the tire options are very limited. the 205/50 azenis or the 225/45 hankooks are the only two options I am really seeing for the track…

However, widebody/fender flares are allowed in the street class… so if I stepped up to 17" wheels (approx 10lbs heavier each) I could go 17x8 or 17x9 and some real wide rubber like the 275/40 azenis.

which gives me this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Mafdark/transtire.jpg

So that would bring me to gearing… which I dont even know what I want.

Advice?

Very nice!..Don’t let this turn out like Travis’ “time attack” build :rofl

If you dont know Mickey already, you should. Find me on aim or email me and I’ll get you his contact info. He is the resident Honda road racing guru.

Take a look at the COMSCC and EMRA rules. They are the biggest time trial groups around here. Redline is great, however I think they only do Summit once a year? Just my $.02. Being able to cross over to other groups and be competitive would give you other cars and drivers to run against and lots of different tracks.

Tires/gearing/etc-
Order of importance (my $.02 again)-

1. Proper size for the car. There is always a range of sizes that you can use without screwing up the geometry but I wouldnt go too far out of it.
  2. Available tire options - 245/40/17 is my size and EVERY competition tire comes in that size. Pick a size/setup that makes it easy to get tires.
  3. Gearing/top speed. Least important part of the equation. Dont make yourself miserable if you’re still driving it to the track and back. WGI is the fastest track on the east coast and 164 is still more than plenty.

Re: tires - Look at the Nitto NT01. I think the treadwear is 140 or something similar and will be much faster than the Hankook RS2/Bridgestone RE01R/Dunlop Star (which are the fastest street tire choices).

Let me know when you make your schedule for 09. A lot of local guys do the full COM sched.

nt01s are 100 same as my advans unfortunately.

I’ll look up comscc and emra, but off the top of your head are the rules/classes similar?

as for tire size, 225/45/15 is pretty close but there is no easily available 140-200 tread rated 15" tire out there. The only ones really are the 205/50/15 azenis… of course once i step into the 100 tread rating I have a ton of 225 options…

my imput…good luck and have fun. sounds dope. i would love to have a time attack car.

-My bad.

-Both have a much more elaborate rules setup than Redline. Redline encourages people to build crazy shit like the Hypermax Evo because the classes are broad and you have to build a nuts car to win one. COM/EMRA has many categories where each car can fit a little better in. Due to the turbo, you’re probably in SP with COM. The last letter splits up SP into more competitive groups i.e. SPB or SPC.

Chances are you’ll get knocked out of the class you want to be in by doing one minor thing like the fenders. One group will say “no body modifications like widebodies” in this class. Who knows, it’s worth looking at tho. You dont want to be competitive in one and completely shafted in another. I’m in SPA with COM but havent been in awhile. There are a ton of fast Subarus in SPB that run crazy fast times. Fingers crossed that you’re SPC. ;D

-15 tire choices suck for street but are great for comp tires thanks to mini sports cars of the 90s (Miatas, etc). Wheels are easy to resell, so dont trap yourself in one setup. That 17 size is everywhere for both comp and street tires and is a great choice if it is the right size for your front end. Downside is tires are more expensive. Street tires last forever so its not the end of the world. Those of us required to run R comps to be competitive are stuck with $1000 per set of tires each and every race weekend. ::slight_smile: