Project R34: Part TA

First round of issues:
Redline is not allowing R33 and R34 chassis GTR’s to compete in Street. They are auto-bumped into modified, regardless of modifications done to it. A bone stock R34 GTR would be in modified. I’m in discussion with one of the founders of Redline Time Attack (RTA) about this and awaiting a reply. The R32 is legal in street class, even though it’s lighter than the R33/R34 with similar power.The EVO’s and STi’s are lighter and MORE powerful and can still be put in stock and street classes. It makes no sense.

Thats fuckin BS dude.

I dont think the evo/sti’s computers are anywhere near the R34’s thou… IIRC the R34 (besides the R35) still has one of the smartest drivtrain systems

granted its stupid but ehh whatcha gon do

This is great to hear, Cossey! Definitely keep us updated with pics and videos

The R35 also has a factory sequential gearbox, almost 500hp, and much wider tires. The R35 blows the R34, R33 and R32 away with out-of-the-box performance. The EVO’s drivetrain is also very ‘smart’ as well.

I understand that, im saying that before the R35… the R34 still uses one of the more advanced drivetrain control systems compared to the evo/sti

weather or not thats why they wont let it compete in a street class is beyond me just saying it would make sense…

if the car was stock I think its stupid not to let it compete in a street class

what size wheels are on that thing with the 275’s? 18"s?

I’ve talked with nik a number of times about the rules and he’s very reasonable. Let us know how it works out.

oh, and: www.timeattackforums.com

That’s where I’m posting my grievances and so far have Sean Morris on my side.

I take it that cannuck bit on your offer for the FR topmount. Nice. For that price you could not beat the deal anywhere.

Will be fun for certain. Feel free to call me while I’m here Chris if you have questions needing answers.

Yep. Just PayPal’d him last night. Also, he did NOT sell that R32!!!

Also just scored a victory w/ Redline and they are now allowing them to be in the street class. Here’s what was said:
Me:
"I have a minor issue with the current vehicle classification list as well.
What factory options/specs of an R34/R33 put it into modified class?
As Sean [Morris] said, the factory tire size on the R34 GTR were only a 245 width, under the maximum 255 allowable.
I understand the R35 being put into modified, but not with the R34. It’s 200hp down from the factory, similar weights, non-sequential gearbox, and >255mm wide tires. The R34 weighs around 3700lbs, several hundred pounds over an EVO/STi and has LOWER power levels from the factory. I’m sorry if I’m sounding like a broken record, I just don’t see what forces a car of that level into the modified class.

Oh. And hello, my name is Chris. "

Scott @ Relentless:
"Welcome to the forum Chris.

I must say that I agree with you in a sense that the car vs classification can use a little restructuring.
But, I personally feel that some of the car platforms that are currently allowed in street class should be relegated to modified class. I also feel that some of the “Supper Car” platforms that are currently allowed (for one reason or another) in the modified class should without a doubt be placed in the unlimited class automatically.

Although there is always going to be some platforms of cars that carry certain advantages over others, the Redline staff has always done a great job so far to keep everything as fair as they can and I am sure they will continue to do so."

Me:
"I’d also have to agree in some instances. I don’t exactly think any car should be placed into a class it really should belong in as far as rules go. As an example, I’ll use SCCA Solo2 rules for autocrossing. The cars need those certain modifications to be bumped higher and higher. They wouldn’t just throw a Porsche Carrera GT into Super Mod just because of the car’s factory
performance statistics.
A brand new E90 chassis BMW M3 would be placed in Super Stock, same with a C6/C5 Z06 and FD3S RX7s…
EVOs, STis, Supra TTs.
There are some faults there, however.
A TVR Speed 12 would be in E-Stock.

Again, not trying to beat a dead horse or anything, but if the R32 GTR, EVO’s, and STi’s can compete in street, so should R33 and R34 GTR’s when they’re both heavier from the factory with power levels within 5% of eachother. The only real conclusion I could see from this is to allow the R33/R34 in street, or bump the EVO’s and STi’s into modified. "

Sean Morris:
“I agree. If the R32 is allowed in street, the heavier and same engined car the R33 and R34 should also be allowed. The overall suspension setup, widths, and wheelbases are all similar, except that the R33 and R34 are heavier.
"
If the R33 and R34 GT-R’s are in Modified, so should STI’s and Evo’s.”

Nikolas of Redline:
"I don’t have an issue seeing the R32, R33 or R34 in Street… obviously meeting the tire limit rules, and the other rules of the Class.

Chris, what do you think? "

So I’m pretty sure they are going to change the rules.

Awsome! :thumbup

So what exactly is this redline time attack? More info? Is it something local or all over?

Fuuuuuuuck, the R32 is still for sale?!?!?! Fuck me. And I just paid Seth-o for the WRX before I left. Awesome platform for a track car build, dirt or tarmac. :banghead:banghead

At least you got that manifold. You got it for nearly the same price as the 321/625 material I would have bought to make the piece I was planning for the car. Super good find :number1

lol
google is your friend

stfu… and Adam did you get my PM?

RTA is the shit, I’m pretty jealous that Chris is going to beat me to an event. (at least it looks that way)

Chris, what size rims are those 275’s on?

The 275’s are on a 9.5" wide wheel. I will be going down to prolly a cheaper 9" wide wheel for track events on a 255mm wide tire. The minimum treadwear rating must be 140. I’ve been looking into various tires. The Toyo Proxes R1R looks good. A lot of guys in modified and unlimited run Hoosier A6’s which is primarily an autocross tire, mainly because they don’t need to be heated up as much to perform well, but they’ll also wear a little faster. I want something durable yet sticky. The R1R is also good for rain events as well.

yep, the street class is pretty much limited to tires such as the nitto Nt05’s Falken azenis, and the dunlop star specs.

I’m curious about the diameter though, 18, 17?

R34 never came with 17" but I guess if you found the right ones they would clear the brakes. The stock brake/caliper setup isn’t that big…

w00t. Manifold should be here Monday or Tuesday!