PS3 Shit The Bed

Well console #2 decided it no longer wants to play any sort of discs. I’ve been on Google and pretty much everyone says to call Sony. I don’t feel like calling and dishing out $150 for a repair. Are there any places locally that will fix this in a reasonable amount of time? Any DIY fixes. I’m debating just getting a new one.

Sent from my Droid

you can order a new blu ray drive and fix it yourself. thats what i did, mine is working perfectly, new drive was like 60 and i just read a diy online

my buddy DIYed his and it only ended up being the laser lens that burned out. It was a super cheap fix for him.

maybe this can help you?

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/ele/2119246995.html

If it works other than reading discs snag a laser and swap that bitch out! :slight_smile:

Oogies charged me $150 to fix the drive, it took 1 day.

buy another system.

they are cheap now. I’ve had 3 backwards compatable ones, and theyve been cheaper each time i bought one.

I think I paid $50ish for the lens. The drive mechanism took in and ejected fine so why replace the whole thing was my thinking. There was never any overheating etc… so it was worth repairing.
Of course if you have to pay someone just buy new. The new slim guys aren’t backward compatible but they are way less noisy and render video a bit better.

Welp, guess my buddy down in LA had a PS3 go bad on him. So he’s sending me the disc drive from it. I’ll update on the progress of the take apart and repair.

Anyone upgrade their HDD on the PS3? I’d like to do a 7200 RPM drive but I’ve been hearing it’s hit or miss with them.

A friend of mine at work threw in 500gb… and he has never been in a PC before. You’ll be fine skill wise. As far as the RPM, I haven’t heard any problems, but I guess it is possible.

Deltax filled me in on this bud. You don’t have good luck with ps2/3’s lately

its about a $45 part on ebay

First one I had, did the same thing. Luckily I was able to take it back to target and get a brand new one…Now this one takes a dump. I told him to overnight the package :stuck_out_tongue: