Public Education System

I bet you didn’t know that Williamsville (#1 WNY school for the last 2-3 years) actually spends less per child for education than Buffalo (dead last WNY school for a bunch of years). I can’t find the actual numbers now, but it was released when Business First released this year’s school rankings. Further proof that guess what, it’s not just a money issue. I don’t care if you spend a million dollars per kid, if the parents aren’t teaching them the importance of an education the kids are going to fail.

What would I change?

1. Drop requirements for the schools for kids who’s parents refuse to get involved. Without the parent’s help “investing in the future” of a child is just a bad investment. Better to spend the money on the kids you can help than keep pouring it down the drain with kids who because of their parents are a lost cause.

2. Get tough on teacher’s unions. Buffalo spends more per child than the #1 ranked school in WNY. Where is this money going? The Buffalo Teacher’s Union is one of the strongest unions in the area, and if you listen to Phil Rumore (union president) for more than 5 minutes you’ll instantly know that he stopped caring about education a long time ago.