quarter panel rust

My '06 F150 is already rusting and I need to get it fixed.
Theres bubbles on both rear 1/4’s above the wheel with the right side being worse but today at the car wash one of the bubbles on the left side opened up and now it looks pretty bad.
I want to get all the rust fixed because Im keeping the truck for a long time and dont want it to look bad.
Left:

Right:

I think its beyond the point of putting flares over it and calling it a day.

I found aftermarket patch panels online and found new OEM Ford bedsides for it for a somewhat decent price.

Any idea what it would cost?

Rust sucks. Once it starts it cant be 100% removed without replacing metal. Grinding it out and body working over it could come back in 6 months or 6 years. Its a crap shoot.

Link me to the patch panels so I can see how much they cover. The thing with the patches is the labor involved in putting them in, and then the time and materials to body work the repair.

Bedsides, although being the most expensive parts wise, usually end up being the same cost or atleast damn close to the cost for patches + labor/materials. If not LESS expensive sometimes actually.

Any of the 3 options the entire panel is being painted and cleared. so labor to paint and materials to shoot are no different.

If your keeping it long term, and I know the rest of the truck is mint… I would replace the entire bedsides.

http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/2004_2008_f150/exterior/body_panels/key_parts/

I found the bed sides for around $900 shipped. From what Ive been told theyre held on by a few spot welds and the rest is glue/sealant.

http://www.tascaparts.com/shoppingcart/index.cfm?siteid=213668&retVal=%2Fparts%2F2006%2FFORD%2FF%252D150%2FXLT%3Fsiteid%3D213668%26vehicleid%3D1432391%26diagram%3DMA04800

I plan on keeping the truck for several more years and dont want it to be a rusty POS.

those wheel arches are cheap, I assume shipping will be a bit.

I can get them from LKQ for $135 each.

I have to call on the bedsides, but 900 shipped… is that ONE side or both?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-06-07-08-FORD-F150-PICKUP-TRUCK-BOX-BED-STYLESIDE-6-1-2-BOX-WHITE-/151011683305?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3AF-150&hash=item2328ff6be9&vxp=mtr

Both sides and theyre from a Ford dealer in Rhode Island. Maybe Metro, Latham or Orange Ford can get them for the same price and save shipping.

$36.94 shipping per patch panel.

Thanks. Looks like its gonna need bodywork though so Id be into it a bit more than the cost there too.

i think there was a recall from ford for the rust problem. it has insulation somewhere that traps water and causes rust fast.

some fords have a rust through warranty 10yr,100k

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/192239-2004-f150-recall-butyl-pad.html

there is recall. make ford fix it

if thats both sides shipped, thats the best deal for the long run. and yea they are spot welded and panel bonded on.

per patch shipping is cheap as heck too, better than I can do for them through lkq. Ill ask eric tonight what he thinks and see if he can get bedsides too.

Thanks.

Im pretty sure the patch panels are cheap chinese junk but then again most aftermarket parts are. The bed sides are OEM Ford.

Im not aware of a rust thru warranty on these trucks.

seems like that recall only covered '04 and '05, especially if they were recalling new trucks for it back then.

Mine’s an '06

yeah the patches are cheap ones, but the oem panels are thin anyway so no difference really, as long as the lines line up they will work fine.

bedsides are still the best option for the “right way”.

Did you guys come up with a ballpark price to do the sides or patches?

about 12 hrs body time a bedside labor + materials. $55 an hr body rate. Materials about $150-300 rough for that.

so, $1320+$150-300+the bedsides.

Sounds pretty good. It probably wont be for a few months. No sense doing it with salt still on the roads and Ive gotta see how much Ive got put aside for it and go from there.

10-4 i agree