Question about Fuses, shorts, and an electrical mess.

I’ll give you a quick version of what happend. There’s a mouse nest or something blocking my blower motor so I barely have heat in my car right now. I figured that if I bought one of those cigarette-lighter plug-in heater things I’d use it for a few days when it was REALLY cold out last week, until I could get someone to help me figure out the mess with the blower motor.

Anywho, after about 20 minutes of using the heater and listening to my radio, I blew a fuse. So I replaced it and thought it wouldn’t blow if I didn’t listen to the radio or something. Another 20-30 minutes goes by, and it does it again. So this time I manned up and decided to ditch the heater. But to my surprise, every god damn fuse I put in would pop the second I put it in.

Now I understand that this most likely is a short. Correct? It really sucks though because that fuse was for my radio, clock, interior lights, radiator fan, cigarette lighter, etc. etc. So I NEED to get it fixed.

So I guess my question is what do I do? Ha. Who do I take it to? How big of a pain in the ass is it to find the short? Am I fucked?

I had a problem before when a pennies bounced into the cigarette lighter. It blew the fuses. Just make sure that there is nothing else in there. Did it start happening after you started using the heater?
Good luck.

Yes. I’ve never had this issue before until I used the piece of shit heater. I haven’t returned it yet because I want to call the company and complain but I don’t know how far I’d get with that.

ok

See if you can take a look at the wires on the back of the cigarette lighter

Im thinking that MAYBE, you couldve melted a wire back there and now theyre comming into contact, causing a short

side note, i had a car with no heat in it for 2 winters and it fucking sucked so bad.

truth.

on another side note, how hard is it to acess the heater box?

Id take a look at it for ya, and i do have hand tools ( as long as theyre not Torx heads)

that problem sucks. just take it somewhere credible if you need it fixed… that what CC’s are for.

i dont think you should be complaining to the company that manufactured the heater though. their product worked fine… it is your car that is the suck apparently.

prolly fucked up the cigarette lighter. replace it

if you have a mouse nest in your car, then they chewed through some wires, or atleast enough to make them short out. Find the nest and start looking around by it for chewed wires.

Would someone like to recommend me some credible places?

From what I understand, you have to take off the whole dash to start looking for things in my car. I do not have a heated garage, or enough knowledge of cars to know what I’d be looking for.

Am I going to be paying out the ass in the labor part of this problem?

See if you can take a look at the wires on the back of the cigarette lighter

Im thinking that MAYBE, you couldve melted a wire back there and now theyre comming into contact, causing a short.

Its only two wires on the back of the plug

TRACE THEM as far as you can from the lighter back. Its easy

if u leave it with me for a couple hours i could figure it out. i have alot of tools that make stuff like that easy. u probably melted the connector if theres no pennys in ur cig lighter

word to the wise: dont let joe have your car. First its that, than the incessant phone calls, than you find him in your room rummaging through your panty drawer.

Probably just a melted wire as above. Should hopefully be an easy fix.

I’d say just try pulling the outlet and checked for a visibly melted wire at this point. Normally I offer to do this stuff, but on-site wiring repair blows unless it’s in a heated garage this time of the year.

or if andys gf is having a temper tantrum

That too. :lol:

I also have this problom, but none of the fuses blew, but somthin fried the ECU, and it was right after I cut my O2 censor off (long story) but regadless could that cause it as well, wires grounding, or shortin out ?

if ur oxygen sendor wires are grounding to eachother then yes it will short out a ecu. y are u cutting o2wires. seriously wtf r they teaching u in boces

v i ment for her to drop her car off at my house and leave i dont like people looking over my shoulder. although u feel humorous i know an extreme amount about vehicle wiring and have acces to all wiring diagrams. i also have 5000 dollars in tools just sitting in my garage feeling like neglected step children