Question About Jacking Car

That is the best way Max. If your car is too low then just drive up on a 2x6 or two depending how low the car is and how big your jack is. In the rear use the diff.

i agree with hurricane also if your are raising the whole car be shure to raise the front first, rear last . when lowering rear first front last . i smashed a drift front bumper on the jack when i lowered the front before the back, costly mistake.

hey guys, at my friend’s shop, they wanted to lift my car to look at my tire since it’s losing air, but i stopped him from lifting the car, since to lift it, he has to slide the 4 things on the frame rail(2 on each side) to lift the car up(not the drive on ramp)…

i did this because i read this thread n was worried the frame would bend…

any input? is it safe to lift it this way at the mechanic shop? since the lift is lifting at two points on each side of the frame rail(driver and passenger) rather than just lifting with a floor jack on one point which has bent the frame rails according to posts in this thread…

I think on a hoist it will be fine because you are dealing with more surface area.

Even lifting from one point will not bent you frame if its in good condition… Depending on the level of rust you might be able to lift it easily or have to find other point/ put something between the hoist arm and the lift location. If you need to check the back tires, lift it from the diff with a floor jack for the front I usually put it on those two thick bent metal pieces under the front bumper… the place where you tow the car. You’ll know what im talkin about if you see it… again level of rust matters. Ive seen 240’s that shops have refused to do because it sounded like the hoist arms were going to go through the floor if they tried to lift it.

hmm, the rust on the frame rails isnt too bad, just have a small hole on each side…i plan on having it fixed in spring, but right now i just need to have it lifted up to change tires and possibly replace the washer fluid pump…i cant lift from the front because my current bumper is wayyy too low…

When I jack from the driver side its fine but from the passenger side the frame gets pushed in. There is not really any visable rust on the passenger frame rail but the undercoating is chipping off. The part of the frame shown in the picture is not where I jacked from, but it is where I placed the safety stand.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2701/hpim0013hx2.jpg

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4894/hpim0014az0.jpg