Question about removing seats and airbags

I picked up a 2005 civic and would like to give it a full detail. Due to “OCD” I want to remove the seats and shampoo the entire floor. Under the seat is a cable/wiring that I believe tells the car there is someone sitting in the seat and “dings” if the seat belt isn’t clicked. My question is 1) does this have anything to do with the airbags and 2) should I disconnect the battery before removing the seat. It may be a dumb question but id rather be safe then sorry.
Thanks

disconnect battery if you want, wont matter. Has nothing to do with airbags. I also have a 05 and removed the seats twice to clean up without problems.

Yes, it is likely that if the battery is still connected, it will trip the SRS light.

just don’t turn the car on with the seats out and you shouldn’t get a light

OK thanks guys

+1 don’t even turn the key to the “on” position and you will not get a SRS light.

unplugged battery, let it sit for a bit then pulled the seats no problem. :tup:

Question about SRS light.
My brother was checking his fuses and ended up pulling his airbag fuse…well now his SRS light is stuck on.
Any idea how to get it turned off?

pretty sure only the dealer can turn that off, or someone with an equivalent scan tool. Probably a half hour

The SRS light is on because the ECU is saying it is not funcitioning. There should be an ECU-1 fuse that you can pull to disable the SRS ECU. That will turn off the light but the Airbags will not work.

If he wants his SRS light off and restore everything to normal he will have to find out how to reset it. Car year/make/model?

It’s a 99 honda accord ex

Looks like you have to “play the drums” to reset it. Pretty common way to do it.

Here is one method: http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/35976/SRS+light+is+on