question about vin#/getting car inspected with different engine

for my first question… im restoring a 69’ camaro, and i found this: http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/product.asp?pf_id=731310&dept_id=1427

now, if i bought this, what would i need to do about the vin number/the plate on the firewall?

I figured it would be cheaper to buy the whole body, than replace all of the parts i need.

And for my next question… how are you guys getting your cars inpected with different engines in them, etc.

Lets say I wanted to put a 350SBC in a 4th gen fbody… as much as i know, you cant get it inspected because of the OBD stuff… so can anyone tell me about this?

Thanks!

you can’t swap vins from one car to another… legally, unless you do get like a specially constructed title or something like that.

legally you can’t take a 4th gen and stick a carbed 350 in it. PA has some loopholes in its exemption to do it but its not technically legal and its for sure against federal laws.

thanks for the input, but it isnt really a different car if you know what i mean… ts just all replacement sheet metal.

im not being as asshole here, but what is the difference between that, and getting a new metal dash piece that the vin is attached to and putting it on the car?

I might be wrog so correct me if I am , wouldn’t you have to apply for a reconstructed title ?

my best advice would be to keep it under 5000 a year. get your first inspection with the old motor and OBD II then swap it out.

thanks… now what about replacing the body panels?

would that be something i would have to call the dmv about?

I would guess you have to keep the vin you have regardless of how many body panels you replace. :dunno:

i understand that, but im replacing the piece the vin number is on.

its just that lets say i just replaced the panel that the vin number is on, would i still need to get a reconstructed title? I would think not.

also i would think a reconstructed title wouldnt count if you replaced all of the panels separately, but it does if you buy them all together, am i correct?

I would think you would have to put your vin on the new panel.
Why would you have to get a new title for replacing body panels? Keep your current vin and replace whatever you want.

From my understanding any time you remove a vin plate you have to go through the state . If I were to inspect a vehical that didn’t have the correct rivits holding the vin # in place I wouldn’t put a sticker on it until it was cleared by the state police .

dont mess with vin#'s

if you want to do it right, you have to transfer the whole firewall / cowl from your car to the new car…

You can buy the correct VIN tag rivets for anything. They’ll know no better as long as you’re keeping that VIN to that car. Besides, if you try to swap the VIN from one car to another, You’ll have to find all the hidden VINs too.

Also, On 1966 and earlier Mopars, The VIN isn’t even riveted on. There are holes for rivets, But a spot welding technique was used instead to hold the plate on. I put regular rounded rivets in mine just to play it safe incase the welds ever let go and have never been questioned.

Pewter’s right.

I’d talk to one of the better street rod kit manufacturers. They know how to get new VIN’s issued legally.

These guys are local and top shelf, they might have some answers:

http://www.outlawrods.com/index2.html

thanks, ill check them out