Question for the diesel owners on here

if ya do go with a 05 duramax , better motor no dpf on it just look at the brake lines so there isnt rot as they do quickly esp on the driver side under the rear of the front 1/4 panel and at the abs module ,the hydroboost setups leak a bit also but all in all great trucks

My friend just bought a '10 Tundra and he said its not all that great on gas. He gets about what my truck gets- 13-15 or so.

My brother cut the muffler and cat off his truck and it made a difference.

good to know thanks

Oh yeah, should have said ours is an '05 as well.

the tundra has a break in mode i guess till it hits 2000 miles it runs fat then after it runs better …my boss has a 09 and its about 20 or so

My brother cut the muffler and cat off his truck and it made a difference.[/quote]

and dodges already have a 4" exhaust

if the owner dosnt mind the sound thats the way to go anyday. there isnt an aftermarket exhaust that will make any more power than a muffler/cat delete. a larger down pipe may be required with more radical power, but for a stock truck, or one with just a chip and/or intake, that all that you need.

5.7?

yeah

Its fucking obnoxious. He eventually put a resonator on it but its still loud.
The truck ran 14.4 with just the straight pipe and Bullydog. Now he’s got it loaded up with toolboxes and a ladder rack so he doesnt race it these days.

i got the same truck with more options and less miles for 7g less… keep looking. it took me over 3 months to find the truck i liked

the noise has never bothered me, ive got a few friends with all straight. when i had my chev with the 6.5 td i just had the 3.5" down pipe to a 5" pipe that cut out infront of the rear wheel. interior drone wasnt that bad, but it was loud eneought to set off car alarm:rofl

but now i am quiet to the world with the TDI, even thou i dont have a muffler

deff decide what options you need/want, with this big of an investment you will always be pissed if you get something that your not happy with. dont rush into anything especially if you think there a any mechanical issues on that particular truck. take your time and shop arond and im sure you will find what your looking for in a price range that wont kill you

thats why i wanna just take my time and browse through autotrader etc. and see what I can get for the $$. Hopefully prices will come down some in the spring…

Glad to see your opting for a diesel!!!

im glad a bunch of idiots didnt continually post in this thread because u guys put out alot of good info, from personal experience if your looking for a dependable truck with good fuel economy, ur gonna need a damn near brand new gas truck. Ive had three trucks. Two chevys and a dodge un fortuneately all gas jobs. I had a 99 silverado 5.3l gas hog, but a decent truck, then moved to a 2002 ram sport 5.9l 8 mpg no matter what i did, blew the trans at 70kmi and went thru ball joints like crazy. i currently have an 05 silverado 1500 with the 5.3 i get about 12-14 mpg, so far the truck is perfect otherwise, havent done a damn thing but flush fluids and change plugs and its got 95kmi. As far as getting a deisel goes, for the fuel economy it may be worth it, but for the maintenance (if you truly dont NEED a diesel) it may not be. They are verrry expensive to maintain and there is more maintenance involved, its just the nature of the beast. Diesels are very tempermental but soooooo awesome. I want one in the worst way. I am currently shopping for a new truck as well, ive had my eye on a 2007 gmc 2500hd at denooyer. it is another gas truck, but the GM LSx Gen III motors cant be beat and the dependability of these newer gm’s really is awesome. Im a firm ford hater and would never send anyone in the direction of a ford truck, their gas and diesel trucks both suck cock in all aspects. IF u get anything make sure u shop around, a diesel truck that has been taken care of will run forever i mean after 60kmi their just getting broken in…shop around and ull find something, but dont kid yourself its gonna take awhile.

i really dont see where maintenance is more expensive. a diesel ‘tune up’ consists of a fuel filter and a bottle of fuel additive, which will run you like $20 tops. what gas engine can you tune up for less that $20?
you cant even think about turbos and injection pumps as regular maintenance. i had a 95 chev with a 6.5, which is argued the worst diesel made(i know), it had 200k miles with no maintenance done but fuel filters and oil changes. original injectors original injection pump, original turbo, etc. thats like thinking cylinder heads on a gas engine are regular maintnence consumables.

most automotive ‘know it alls’ are afraid of diesels

HAHA DEFINITLEY!!

and im not looking to argue with you here at all, but i never said that turbos injectors and such were regular maintenance, nor are a set of heads or head gaskets or anything else of the sort on a gas truck…but agreed “tune ups” comparatively are the same. BUT if and when something goes wrong on a diesel or a gas truck say for instance the turbo goes bad (which happens often on fords) replacing that labor and parts included is definitley more expensive then throwing a head gasket at a gas truck labor and parts included. u cant agrue that.

And about your 95 thats impressive, congrats u must have had a factory freak or have been really good to that truck cuz i have a friend who has a fleet of a few trucks and he has an 05 duramax a 95 chevy diesel dump and a 01 ford f-350 power choke and that 95 and 01 has costed him moooooore money in injectors, hes done the turbo on each truck, just tons and tons of maintenance but they are worked and worked fairly hard. but these things all happened prematurely without a doubt

The Nissan diesel in the '08 UD box truck I drive at work has been thru a turbo already and now the truck has 76k on it. That happened probably 10k ago. It was under warranty but wouldve been pretty expensive if it wasnt.

Its also frozen a few fuel filters in the winter and the truck is very coldblooded and wouldnt even start without being plugged in for half a day on Thursday.

The shitty '97 Isuzu diesel truck we replaced that had 264k on it and was beat to shit always fired right up on the coldest days of the year. The '02 Isuzu gas motor truck we have now always starts too. Its got a Chevy 350.

The '92 Ford F350 with a powerstroke and 130+k my boss has for a parking lot plow truck fired right up yesterday without being plugged in and it was about 9* out.

i guess he is sort of in the same boat as those who may have had a bit older truck (that was paid for) and turned it in on a prius and aquired payments, how long until the benefits make up for the investment?

Like with this 07 2500hd GMC im looking at its a gorgeous truck, 55kmi gas 6.0liter excellent shape. Denooyer is asking 22000 and kbb value is just over 20000, if it was a diesel denooyer would be looking for close to 30000 i would think. To make up that 10000 dollars how long is it gonna take between gas a diesel prices? AND this particular gas truck is an awesome truck can tow damn near anything and has a great payload with an 8ft bed and it will run for quite a while without anything more than typical up keep. SO should a diesel but i guess with any vehicle you never know.

Either way im sure youll find a great truck and you can make any truck loud and proud…diesel trucks just make your dick grow and ur nuts hang alil lower, hahaha