question for UB computer people

yeah but if you were to come in, help desk would just download them and give em to you with a jump drive if u bring ur computer.

um… http://wings.buffalo.edu/computing/software/ = “UB Tech Tools Software Downloads”

meaning its the tech tools on the web YAY!!.. how do you not know this

please dear god don’t buy an external from them… buy a harddrive and an external enclosure… you’ll save like 20-30 bucks… and just download what you need off the website… unless you have dial up then buy the cd.

Idiot, i’m sure his problem is much more indepth than a adaware scan…

the website is updated when the update is needed… i don’t know about the CD camarojoe would know, but it sounds like its a once a semester burn

and MikeRi24… if you need any other help… post here… but remember

for the reformat what you will need is

XP pro. SP2 (available at ubmicro, I STILL don’t know if its the fucking update or the real deal. if its not the real deal i’d be happy to hook you up with the real deal)
at the very least a LAN driver. every other driver should be available on the internet.

the process

backup files
reformat
install winders -yes i know this is all one process
MAKE SURE THE SP2 FIREWALL IS ON BEFORE YOU CONNECT TO THE INTERNET
install LAN driver-providing you aren’t on dialup
use IE to get firefox ( i prefer version 2.0)
go to computers maker webby, and get the rest of the drivers…
go to http://wings.buffalo.edu/computing/software/
grab the anti-virus (client security if you would like)

and YAY then get all the software you had before…

quick list of what you should have
VPN client since you are off campus… I’ll put the older version with no bugs back up for you when you PM me and say you have everything reformatted
then dc++ from ubdc.no-ip.com (remember you have to have the VPN client connected to be able to access ubdc.no-ip.com
nero
daemon tools
VLC
music player - (i like foobar)

Anyways, the real problem at hand is NAV blocking SP2 from detecting if NAV is operating :confused: Please select your identity provider. - Support Portal but, it only works for versions of 2003, 2004, and 2005?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883792
Q: What about Symantec? Why does Windows Security Center not detect the status of Norton products?
A: Symantec’s product status architecture is unique among firewall and antivirus manufacturers and requires a different approach to guarantee detection of Symantec products. Symantec is in the process of developing WMI providers and has plans to distribute the WMI providers to all active customers shortly after Windows XP SP2 releases. The Symantec WMI providers will enable full detection by Windows Security Center for active Norton customers.

Without the updated WMI providers, Windows Security Center will detect only whether Norton products exist. No status detection will be available. You will receive a “red alert” message because Windows XP could not detect an up-to-date and active antivirus program. For more information about Symantec and Windows XP SP2, visit the following Symantec Web site:
Please select your identity provider. - Support Portal (Please select your identity provider. - Support Portal)
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Back to the top

Q: Will I be forced to use certain third-party antivirus or firewall software? Can I use software that is not detected by Windows Security Center?
A: You are not required to use an antivirus or firewall software program that is compliant with Windows Security Center. If you use software that is not detectable, you may select Windows Security Center options that let you monitor your security status on your own. This scenario causes a “yellow” caution state, but you will not receive messages that prompt you to change your configuration. If you prefer not to be alerted in any circumstance, you can turn off all notifications.

To turn off all notifications, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type wscui.cpl, and then click OK.
2. In the Resources area, click Change the way Security Center alerts me.
3. Click to clear the following check boxes: • Firewall
• Automatic Updates
• Virus Protection

1. Click OK.

I’m 99.9 % sure thats not an issue anymore

i didnt click ur gay little link

Mike, listen to Dan…hes one of thse ppl that, “likes to help”

alternately, i work 6-10 tonight in lockwood

like to help?? no … i just don’t want him to be fed to idiots

lol, i understand

The Tech Tools cd is updated yearly. It comes out in late July or August. CIT updates the information on their website.

Windows XP Pro is an upgrade only and it has 2 cds. One is 32 bit and one is 64 bit. It gives you one install.

Tech Tools can be downloaded also as many people have said, but the cd we have is if you want a hard copy of it.

Stop in tomorrow Mike and I’ll help you out.

ive re-formatted and installed this the xp pro cd that i got from ubmicro

so have i, on 2 different machines

i dont really wanna re-format…for whatever reason, my computer isnt running as slwo today, but i am going to get the Tech Tools CD with the Symantec update and re-install that and do the full scan and all that stuff. i’ve realized that re-formating is gonna be a major pain in the ass, and i dont want to do it unless i absolutely have to.

its actually not that bad… after reformating at least 100 times (not just my computer, I’m the computer guy for all my friends) it gets really easy after you fuck up the first two times