Question on Audis

I have a 2001 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro 5-speed with 153,000 miles. It has been and continues to be a fantastic car. My Dad bought it new and then I purchased it from him when he bought a new A4. Since it’s been in the family, I know every last service and repair the car has had since it rolled off the lot.

The only things to need replacement since new have been the following:

A right rear wheel bearing.
Hazard switch (turn signals were acting goofy).
Left side tie rod end.
Lower rear door trim rubber.
Downpipe (flex section came apart @ 130,000).
Right rear caliper (parking brake started sticking).
Valve cover gasket (started weeping a little oil).

Other than that it’s been routine maintainance-- oil changes, timing belt and related parts, plugs, fluid flushes, filters, brake jobs and the battery. The key is maintainance-- if you buy someone elses junk/ problems you in turn will be paying to fix these things. Parts are a little more expensive than the typical Japanese products, but not that much-- you just have to know where to buy them (and where not to buy them).

The control arms are still original @ 153K, as are the coil packs, the clutch, and everything else from the intake manifold to the turbo, driveline, interior, etc.

The people stating these cars are junk are either ignorant or just plain silly.

The key is not to buy a cheap car that has been ill maintained-- that will cost you dearly in the long run. Get a thorough pre- purchase inspection from a KNOWLEDGABLE person/shop before you buy. The other thing is to find someone who knows how to work on them. A lot of so called electrical issues and other problems I have come across working on these cars are the result of mechanics who know nothing about these cars working on them and fucking things up. Do not go to a shop that doesn’t work on Audis and German cars as a main part of their business.

As a footnote, I have owned other Audis (5000TQ, 90 20VQ) and many VW’s (30+) and I love them. They are not faultless, but far from the unreliable “junk” many people would have you believe. I worked at a Import shop (mainly European Cars) for years and have seen a lot of stuff first hand.

The problem Audis were the ones that were not maintained. Most were bought used by an uneducated buyer who were then stuck with the repair bills and complained that Audis were bad cars. Don’t make the same mistake and I think you will enjoy the car. The driving experience is definately unique and a lot of fun.