Question on Window Delete mod. v. VW TDI

You’re right, though. The amount of money saved each month by NOT paying for collision/comprehensive would have paid for this and still had some money left over for beer.

+1 on dropping collision. I know it’s a TDI and people get retarded when it comes to paying for them but if you do total it the insurance company is going to look at the miles and rattle can paint then cut you a check for jack shit anyway.

Find a replacement glass. Then look for a DIY to replace window regulator clips, buy Audi a6 window regulator clips from the dealership and just use that and put the window in. I’ve replaced the clips 2x on my old passat and took me like 3 hours the first time, 2 hours the second.

I wasn’t sure what my policy covered until I just called back. I only have coverage on injury and theft. So insurance would not of applied here. I believe when I applied the policy I looked at the fact that I’d own the car for a few years, paid 3k for it, and why pay half the cost of the car with 1 years worth of insurance. Economically that money saved will just go towards the next DD, when the time comes.

Regardless of TDI… The paint job came out pretty good for $35 in supplies. lol

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

does this apply for manual crank windows?

Not sure, never looked cause I had electric windows. I’m sure it can’t be that different. Best part is that you don’t have to remove the actual regulator. You might even be able to salvage your old clips If they are not broken.

You will need a 15 sided star tool though to get the door lock mechanism off. BUT I managed to get a regular torx bit to work both times

I haven’t had collision on any of my cars for the last 4 years. I had it my first year driving on a 5k car… Then the following year I dropped it because it was costing me $500/6 months JUST for collision. (I was paying a total of $224/mo when I started driving, now it’s about $65/mo)
I figure if I get in an accident that requires the use of collision, I’m a fucking moron and deserve to be without a car.

I don’t really see a point in carrying it on sub $4-5k cars. Even if you total it (aka, put a dent in it) you still can get quite a bit for parting out or selling as a parts car. so you don’t lose it all… and if you REALLY fucked up the car to a heap of twisted metal, you’ll be dead anyway so it won’t matter if you have a car anymore or not.

comprehensive covers acts of god (deer), so that’s all i carry aside from the required.
glass coverage too. I get a new windshield about once a year because of all the rocks kicked up on my windshield from country roads. usually one of the chips will spread too quick before i get a chance to get it repaired.

We at the shop all love the transformation.

That’s so lame man, good luck with the repair. Nice Recaros by the way…

Just got done with the glass swap, and oil change. Maggie approves!

Thanks again for all the tips. The window went in without a hitch. I think vacuuming up all the glass was the only PITA.

Stopped at Black Forest for some oil, and they gave me some pointers on going about replacing the glass. Really knowledgeable guys over there.

J&J Imports on Bailey sourced me the glass for $75, and that dent popped right out. Not perfect, but better than swapping the whole door out. Just have some body work to do in the spring, but that was expected.

91MR2: Thanks! They were in my cousins GTI previous, and I hear about 4 other MK4’s have seen these seats.

Thumbs up to Blackforest :slight_smile:

I have similar seats in my R32. Except mine just say “Recaro” not Gti. I LOVE them, so comfy

Wish I would have saw this earlier. I have a Jetta GLS parts car you could have got the door complete from.

Sounds like a custom truck. Should be easy to recognize if you see it again, even if it doesn’t have a passenger window…

In regards to the insurance, 99% of the time you don’t need it. Knock on wood,the only decent accident I’ve had was hitting a deer at 70+ in Jeller’s Evo. I’m gonna go ahead and say after 20 years of paying insurance they pretty much owe me a decent new car…Can’t win them all.

X…